The Virtues of one-piece scope bases

Litehiker

Lately I have taken to using one-piece scope bases from reputable makers like Nightforce and LaRue because these bases really do not require lapping or epoxy bedding to get true rings.

The rings are machined true, BOTH top and bottom.

With today's CNC machining we can get excellent tolerances on one-piece bases that come from reputable manufacturers.

Eric B.

Joel,

All I saw in the link was two-piece mounts.

Even if they are made to NASA standards of excellence they will likely not line up perfectly if the mounting holes in the rifle's receiver are not perfectly aligned, which most are not.

Does Talley make a one-piece scope mount?

Eric B.

Just recieved a Near Mfg. alphamount. It's an awesome piece. Waiting to get my rifle back from the smith to mount it. I've never used one but have a couple buddies that have. They are really happy with theirs. Lot of good reviews on them as well. Pricey though.

Joel,

All I saw in the link was two-piece mounts.

Even if they are made to NASA standards of excellence they will likely not line up perfectly if the mounting holes in the rifle's receiver are not perfectly aligned, which most are not.

Does Talley make a one-piece scope mount?

Eric B.

I thought you were referring to "one piece", as in base and ring together, when I posted that link about the Talley rings. They do not make the total one piece.

I guess that's why guys recommend bedding the rail because the outside of the action aren't always true anyways...not sure a one piece will help that without bedding, but not really sure

i am thinking that if we do not want any stress on the scope tube when tightening the ring screws down, then a rail or 1 piece mount or any other mount for that matter needs to be bedded to make up for the discrepancy in the top of the action. the action tops don't seem to be built to that kind of precision where the base isn't going to have space under one end or the other.

jr,

I agree that bedding a Pic. rail should probably be standard operating procedure to insure a "flat" rail that is not bent by tightening it down on a receiver top. A poorly machined receiver top may not be easily noticed until the Pic rail is applied.
(Hopefully the Pic. rail is properly machined!)

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.