Another Nightforce Question

dimecovers3

Why is it that Nightforce does not make something similar to a 3x9 or 4x12 with a 38, 40 ish size objetive? I saw the new 2.5x10 but with 24 on the objective end seems like too much of a compromise for low light. Any ideas why they go from one extreme 50, 56 to 24 like they do?

I really dont know. Their stuff is built along the tactical line so I guess that would have something to do with it. Something in 3-15 power with 40mm obj would be a nice lighter wieght tac scope.

sorry for no good answer, i do see what you are getting at.

steve

Yes, Lerch it does seem odd that they don't offer a "regular" hunting scope. I think Leupold makes a great scope for the money, Nikon too, but what keeps me from not getting NF is the size and weight for a regular sporter weight rifle. Not a problem much for long range or varmint, but seems like they would pursue this untapped market (for them). I for one, would love a 2.5 x8, 3x9, 4 x12 that could be mounted low. S & B does the same I think too.

I'll toss in my wild arse guess.

NF scopes fill a very specific niche (high end tactical). My NF 3-15x56 with NP-R2 is used by police forces that cannot afford a dedicated NV scope. The low profile 2.5 x8, 3x9, 4 x12 is pretty crowded and ultra competitive.

My eyes seem to really like Leupold glass and reticules. The NF NP-R2 takes practice and concentration (something that doesn't come natural to dyslexic/ADDs like me and GW).

What about the new
Leupold VX-L ?
-
home_big_original.gif

I have been a leup fan since I was 5ft tall, and that was at birth since I am 6'6" now!!! The VX-L is a unique idea and a slick looking scope. It is however heavy as hell. The VX-l is 1.5lbs and the NF is 1.9lbs. That comparisson was done with a 4-14x56mm Leup and a 5-22x50mm NF. Neither is a light scope but I think if you are gonna deal with optics in this wieght then you would be ahead to go with the NF and never look back, you wont regret it.

IF you are looking for more of a lightwieght option you might look at Leup's regular Mk4 scopes or the Mk4 PR scopes. They are not as good as the NF but they are **** nice.

In the end the NF is the king of the mountain but you cant get the best without some sacrifices. IF i was gonna cut wieght on a gun, or make any cuts on a gun, I would do it somewhere else than the optics. If you cant see it you cant hit it.

take it easy
steve

The reason they have such drastic product line jumps is they just are not interested in standard scopes. The impression I get from Jeff is they want to build the best precision rifle scope on the market, size or weight just don't matter. The 24mm versions 1-4 & 2.5-10x came as a request from the armed forces mostly a small unit from the navy. The NXS was getting a huge following from the sniper rifle end users and a request for a variable bomb proof scope in 1-4x started about 5 years ago. I was lucky enough to be consulted on the project from a LE and competition stand point. The 2.5-10x grew as a while we are at it version of the 1-4x mainly targeted for the SR25 and similar applications. The 2.5-10x gathers light very well for what it is. I have always believed that tube diameter was way more important to light gathering than obj. diameter. The 2.5-10 I believe to be brighter and sharper than a 3.5-10x 40mm VXIII. I own 2 brands of scopes Leupold and Nightforce. I use the Leupold when weight is a factor and NF when it is not. I don't cut corners on glass though. When I build the 4 338 AM's I am waiting on actions for they will wear NF and I will shave weight else where.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.