Another new old rifle! 8mm mauser shooters, chime in! (And anyone else)

Calvin45

Just figured I'd share my joy with y'all haha, don't have pictures yet as I still have to pick it up.

But after swearing no more guns for a while…well I've bought another cheap old gun and am just giddy to work with the old girl. And I got a deal I'm very happy with.

I didn't think I'd win the auction and felt silly when I did…for just a moment. Then elated.

It's an old HUSQVARNA in 8x57 mauser. The stock has some cracks and chips and needs a good bit of loving BUT…the bore is 80-100 percent condition yet, it has iron sights both intact and unaltered which is annoyingly hard to find, and it's an m98 action clone. and I won the auction at 205 bucks Canadian!!!! That's right! A controlled round feed mauser type action with a good barrel and original iron sights for just over 200 bucks cad!

Can't beat that. Can't wait to get this thing up and running. No intent of scoping this one, I need a solid iron sight rifle and this is it!

Nice, congratulations! I have a Rem 700 classic in 8mm mauser I've been meaning to work up a load for (the factory ammo is anemic). I have some ex military 8mm rifles that are a joy to shoot.

Nice, congratulations! I have a Rem 700 classic in 8mm mauser I've been meaning to work up a load for (the factory ammo is anemic). I have some ex military 8mm rifles that are a joy to shoot.
Yes the North American loadings are ludicrous. Basically 30-30 power. When this beast is neck and neck with a 30-06 when loaded to potential. Of course I'd not load as such in an old military rifle. This isn't an old military rifle tho.

On a humourous note I had a great uncle (died when I was one) that my dad said had a real weird sense of humour and an 8mm mauser surplus gun than he fed his family with during the Great Depression. He had very keen eyes and a steady hand and was a very good shot, taking game out to 400 yards at a time when that was unheard of, at least in these parts. Anyways, after a neighbour heard of one such shot, he asked "how do you even do that?"

He replied "well I take the shot. Put down the rifle. Roll a cigarette, light it, take a big drag, then pick up the gun and watch the impact through the scope". 🤣

This was in no way bragging about how far the shot was, it was a commentary on how slow he felt the factory 8mm ammo was moving! Slightly embellished for entertainment as was everything else he said haha

The Husquvarna is a great starting point for a very good rebuild and the 8x57 Mauser is one of the great ones, a cartridge that punches way above its weight class in the hunting fields, it would be nice to see two or three of the guns and ammo companies here in the US take an interest in it again. Congrats... Cheers.

The Husquvarna is a great starting point for a very good rebuild and the 8x57 Mauser is one of the great ones, a cartridge that punches way above its weight class in the hunting fields, it would be nice to see two or three of the guns and ammo companies here in the US take an interest in it again. Congrats... Cheers.
8mm creedmoor…🤣

Heck, why not a .323-378 Wby Mag AI. 😲
I was more implying that the could keep the exact dimensions of a 8x57 but if they called it a 32 Nosler somehow it'd be outperforming the 8 rem mag with way less powder…you know, like how the .33 Nosler is magically more powerful than the .338 lapua…according to Nosler… 🤣

8mm-06… think .33-06 wildcat. Hand loaded, it would be flatter shooting than the Whelen and shoot larger diameter, heavier bullets than the 30-06.

It's an old HUSQVARNA in 8x57 mauser.
I love the Husqvarna! I hope your experience with them mirrors mine.

I bought two in 9.3mm a few years back. Bored both out to 9.3x62. The wood on one of them was just insane beautiful.

Mfg dates were late 30's on both. I have only shot one of them and the accuracy was unbelievable. Sub MOA with my reloads.

Good luck with your new gun!

Attachments

• C72C7390-8B98-47ED-A49E-4FB55459D133.jpeg
    C72C7390-8B98-47ED-A49E-4FB55459D133.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 50