another coyote with the 20PPC

ewallace

My coyote hunting partner called me and wanted to go out after work and I was good with that :D We had some wind from the SE 10 to 15 mph I set up next to a pond and my partner set up 75 yards down wind on the edge of the thicket looking over a field. I called for :30 and saw a coon but no coyotes of fox. We headed back to the truck and headed to out second stand where we have had some luck in the past. We set up 400 yards from the truck in a fence row with a large cut tree we used as a bench rest. Most of the coyotes we have called in here came in from the west so we set up to shoot to the west and down wind. I started with a small open read cow horn call with a low volume calling sequence for less than :01 and I see movement to the SE directly up wind quietly I say there is one and move my rifle in the direction of the coyote and get him in the cross hare he is around 250 yards. Then he vanishes in the wide open corn field. My partner moves his rifle and gets set up in the direction of the coyote and we are scanning the corn field. After a couple min I see him at 87 yards East of us quietly I say there he is as I sight in on him and my partner quietly whispers I see him and I shoot waaaaaaaaaap as the bullet strikes him he spins and bites at the wound and then starts running I say hit him and my partner shoots just as the coyote goes down. The coyote is just over 50 pounds and is quite dark. We did a little high 5 and I started calling and we howled and got a howl back but no show so we loaded up and headed home.
P1010410.jpg

P1010412.jpg

Last edited:
Got this blond coyote this morning it has been a good last couple weeks with the 20PPC This one came in after 45 min of calling. I was just about to pack it in and saw what looked like something in the edge of the woods looking at me. Most of the time it is a clump of weeks or something like that but it was this coyote. He was 387 yards all I had for a shot was his front chest shot I put the cross hair under his chin and pullet the trigger he went down immediately.

P1010426.jpg

P1010425.jpg

ew: Awesome! That .20ppc is a beast! I bet that thing doesn't even move when you touch the trigger. Fifty pounds is a beast. That would be a record around here. I know you've posted it before but what bullet are you using? Any exit?

I have only had 1 exit on coyotes the shot was 230 yards I have shot quit a few with it from 10 feet to 387 yards with the 40g Vmax bullet

I did recover a couple bullets here is a pic of one of the bullets

P1010427.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.