Another buck hammered with the 284win and 177 hammer hunter

Curious to know what BC you used for this bullet and how far you confirmed drops. I shoot this same bullet in my 7STW. My local range is limited to 300 yards. Kestrel lists its G7 BC at .237 while Hammers website has the approximate BC as .313.
I have confirmed BC out to 1000 yards several times. That's about where it goes sub-sonic in my 284win. The lowest I've come up with is .232 and the best was .238 G7. All done in varying atmosphere conditions. Spring, summer, and fall/early winter.

Nice buck! I'd love to hunt Blacktails some day.
I've been shooting the 177g HH out of my 28 Nosler with stellar success.
It's taken an antelope, elk, Wyoming Bighorn, and a 200" muley. I may retire it!

Nice buck! I wasn't aware they call Black Tail the "Grey Ghost". I thought that name was reserved for the Coues Whitetail?

Last edited:
Nice buck! I wasn't aware they call Black Tail the "Grey Ghost". I thought that name was reserved for the Coues Whitetail?

Rumor has it Couse Deer and the hardest deer to hunt in North America. I call BS. I've talked to several Blacktail hunters that have hunted Couse Deer and they say blacktail are much harder. I've heard blacktail called "gray ghost" since I was a kid. It maybe the hardest of the whitetail species to hunt, but things get a lot harder when the country is steep and there is no corn pile to hunt over. Maybe we can call blacktail deer the "real grey ghost"

Rumor has it Couse Deer and the hardest deer to hunt in North America. I call BS. I've talked to several Blacktail hunters that have hunted Couse Deer and they say blacktail are much harder. I've heard blacktail called "gray ghost" since I was a kid. It maybe the hardest of the whitetail species to hunt, but things get a lot harder when the country is steep and there is no corn pile to hunt over. Maybe we can call blacktail deer the "real grey ghost"
Pile of Corn and Coues deer? LOL 😂. Get real man! The only country Coues deer are in is steep, rocky, canyons and full of cactus, cats claw, thorns, etc. One of the reasons it's called the Poor Man's sheep hunt! It ain't a rumor. That's another story and I don't want to take anything away from your post. Moving on.

Attachments

• IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    987.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Pile of Corn and Coues deer? LOL 😂. Get real man! The only country Coues deer are in is steep, rocky, canyons and full of cactus, cats claw, thorns, etc. One of the reasons it's called the Poor Man's sheep hunt! It ain't a rumor. That's another story and I don't want to take anything away from your post. Moving on.
You completely miss read and miss understood what I said. That's cool though. My point was it's harder to hunt animals with out a corn pile. There for Couse Deer being the hardest to hunt of the white tail species because there is no corn piles. Yes. I agree moving on.

I have confirmed BC out to 1000 yards several times. That's about where it goes sub-sonic in my 284win. The lowest I've come up with is .232 and the best was .238 G7. All done in varying atmosphere conditions. Spring, summer, and fall/early winter.
Appreciate the info
Beautiful buck btw, congratulations
Where did you take him? I'm a California native, but live in Texas, so love to hear about where people hunt

Just out of curiosity, why do you shoot such a heavy copper bullet? If it's a 28 Noz or 7 STW I get it but just wanted to ask the mind set behind the 177 grainer. Great buck and congratulations! I hunt Blacktail in Northern California too. I shoot the 140 grain Absolute Hammers out of my 280 AI.

Just out of curiosity, why do you shoot such a heavy copper bullet? If it's a 28 Noz or 7 STW I get it but just wanted to ask the mind set behind the 177 grainer. Great buck and congratulations! I hunt Blacktail in Northern California too. I shoot the 140 grain Absolute Hammers out of my 280 AI.
Bigger bullets more energy. With copper bullet BC numbers I want all I can get out of them. I'm not a light and fast guy. Slice the pie however you like, but in the end longer heavier bullets will retain energy and remain stable longer than lighter shorter bullets. Shooting warp speed isn't always the answer. Just my 2 cents. What I do has worked 16 times now over 3 rifles and 3 hunters. So it's what I'm gonna keep doing until it stops working.

Definitely don't fix it until it's broken. I like having the heavier bullets too. Just had to change things up using copper so I could get them to function. Especially the gilding metal ones like Nosler E-tip and Hornady CX. So, I don't go super light and barrel burning fast, but somewhere in the middle. The 140 AH out of my 280 AI is 3396 fps. That's hard for any copper 175 grainer to match out to 1000 yds unless it's started at 3100 fps. All the Hammers are a fun bullet to experiment with and have worked really well on the Blacktails, bears and hogs we've shot over the past 5 years. Hopefully I'll get a opportunity on a buck as good as yours this year. So far, all I've seen are forky's.

Definitely don't fix it until it's broken. I like having the heavier bullets too. Just had to change things up using copper so I could get them to function. Especially the gilding metal ones like Nosler E-tip and Hornady CX. So, I don't go super light and barrel burning fast, but somewhere in the middle. The 140 AH out of my 280 AI is 3396 fps. That's hard for any copper 175 grainer to match out to 1000 yds unless it's started at 3100 fps. All the Hammers are a fun bullet to experiment with and have worked really well on the Blacktails, bears and hogs we've shot over the past 5 years. Hopefully I'll get a opportunity on a buck as good as yours this year. So far, all I've seen are forky's.
I passed a big forky opening day and this guy are the only 2 I've seen worth shooting this year. The ranch I hunt on generally doesn't produce bucks until September 1st. I killed him on 9/2. It should be game on the rest of the season. Wife is gonna be mad if I kill a big one in B zone. Haha! My taxidermist will be happy though!

Recent Posts