Amp annealer not working

MASH

Was pretty excited today to get my new Amp annealer when I got home. Got it unpacked and set up and read through manual one more time, as have already done several times waiting for them to be available. Grabbed my pilot and piece of Lapua 6.5 Creed brass, set it to analyze and hit start and the red light stayed on for about a second and shut off. Never heated the case but gave a code. I tired this several more times as I knew it had to heat the case and it gave me three different codes. I decided to try the last code it gave me and when I ran it, it did the same thing, red light came on for about a sec then shut off and gave me the count that it annealed one case. I spent $1600 with pilots to get the best, and its not even working straight out of the box, to say I'm disappointed is a understatement. I have tried to call and sent an email to ask for help and awaiting a response.
So I'm hoping with the vast pool of knowledge here that someone maybe be able to help me if they have had the same experience and there is a fix that I can try to get this working while I wait for Amp to get back to me.

Last edited:
The last one was 0100, but it never actually analyzed the case, I was just trying to run it and see if it did anything.

Seems like a 'DOA' or Dead On Arrival. Happens even at the best of electronics and/or quality control. The units get tested before leaving the factory but during transport from down under things can happen. Bummer.
The first time I hear anything like this about AMP.
I hope they can swap the unit swiftly, keep us posted

This is from the AMP website which maybe of some help to you.

"Machine operates but no heat: Ensure you have the correct program and pilot installed for the cartridge being annealed. If the above is correct and there is still no heat clean the inside of the inductor well. If any ferrous material such as steel wool fragments have accumulated, it will adversely affect the magnetics of the inductor. Cleaning with several cue tips should fix the problem. If the display screen shows FREQ DET ERROR then the inductor well should definitely be cleaned."

This is from the AMP website which maybe of some help to you.

"Machine operates but no heat: Ensure you have the correct program and pilot installed for the cartridge being annealed. If the above is correct and there is still no heat clean the inside of the inductor well. If any ferrous material such as steel wool fragments have accumulated, it will adversely affect the magnetics of the inductor. Cleaning with several cue tips should fix the problem. If the display screen shows FREQ DET ERROR then the inductor well should definitely be cleaned."
Yes I had seen this and tried it, thank you.

Did you go to Aztec option? You should instead of analyze.
Yes sir it's the MkII with Aztec, you use the analyze function on a case to determine the cycle it uses for annealing. i even looked up the code and tried it in standard mode later last night still nothin.

Double check the pilot you used is #17. The only other thing you can do while waiting is to update the firmware. Maybe there's a glitch in the firmware that will be corrected by reloading it. I've had an AMP for almost 3 years and never had an issue with it. Alex has been very responsive to emails (questions about the process, not malfunctions). The inductor well shouldn't need to be cleaned as it's new. Be sure and let us know how you resolved the issue.

Make sure that you turn the machine upside down and shake it to see is anything might have fallen in the case hole also if you hear something rattling around.
Download the new updates off of the AMP website and upload into your AMPII
Turn back on and set to a "TEST" and analyze a case with correct settings for the case you are using. See if it melted the neck mouth. If it didn't and no heat it's not working.
Contact Alex - he will make it right. BEST Customer service+++++

I was fortunate to get to work with the AMP folks during development of the product and know of quite a few users. I did have a glitch in the original unit that was cleared up by reloading the software and have not heard of another instance. I also heard of one unit getting damaged in shipping, that rattled when shook. Try CST's suggestions.
And Yes, Alex or Matt will respond quickly and get you fixed up..