Ammo Coming BACK!

Yes it could be done, but why would you. The 340 has a case capacity of 98 H2o and the 338-378 has case capacity 125 H2o. You would get quite a bit more power, why need it?
Years ago I was going to build a 30-378 . No that is one heck of a FAST .308 - 250 beaner flying down range.

Yes it could be done, but why would you. The 340 has a case capacity of 98 H2o and the 338-378 has case capacity 125 H2o. You would get quite a bit more power, why need it?
I have about 200 twice fired .378 Wby . cases and I have already shot about everything I can find around here to shoot with the .378 Wby. Brass being expensive and hard to find, I thought I would resize some of that brass. Besides, I love bigger. Too much is almost enough.

Do you have any idea how much something like that would cost? I have a new to me 340 Wby with a lot of extra money spent on making it a long-range shooter. I love my .378 and think I would really love a .338 cal. rifle with a little more launch energy.

Years ago I was going to build a 30-378 . No that is one heck of a FAST .308 - 250 beaner flying down range.
I almost bought a 30-378 but have since decided that a .338 caliber rifle would be fun. When I bought the 340 Wby. I wasn't really thinking about souping it up, but then someone said I should think about doing just that. I'm only thinking--and dreaming. My wife says that is what I do best.

I can not offer proof that the government has something to do with this shortage of ammo and reloading supplies, but until I have proof that our wonderful elected officials are NOT involved, I sleep better having someone to blame besides hunters and shooters. Wear your mask and social distance forever and we will come out of this. Yes, I do believe the government lies to us all the time about everything concerning guns. You registering your guns with the government is certainly going to prevent some gangster on the south side of Chicago from murdering someone else this weekend.
See, that's the problem with conspiracy theories. People get sucked into them in this way...I have three options for what could have happened. I choose to believe the one that is the most unbelievable bc no one can offer me proof that it didn't happen, or I don't see proof that one of the other did. So absent proof, I'll choose to believe the most unbelievable version of the truth.

For proof, why don't you look at gun sales, at what Jason Vanderbrink said, and use you own common sense? BTW, anything blamed on the gov't for this must cover both sides of the aisle as this started long before the new administration took office.

So where does your friend live in Montana cuz I live close to Helena and we still don't have any ammo to speak of. I worked at Murdoch's Ranch and Home Supply store in Helena for quite a while and they are still barren.
I'm in Helena and I was able to pick up primers at Sportsmans Whorehouse twice in the past 3 months. Also last Friday they got in more powders and primers (they sold out by Sunday except foe some CL powders).

Also stopped by Murdochs and they had received some powders including H1000 but they sold out quickly.

It seems to be coming in a bit more regularly.

I lucked out and just bought out quite a bit of a guys reloading stash- getting older and out of the reloading world. 8,000 primers for .03 a pop and a lot of Sierra and Hornady bullets. You just gotta keep your ear to the ground and have some dough on hand to take advantage of it.

See, that's the problem with conspiracy theories. People get sucked into them in this way...I have three options for what could have happened. I choose to believe the one that is the most unbelievable bc no one can offer me proof that it didn't happen, or I don't see proof that one of the other did. So absent proof, I'll choose to believe the most unbelievable version of the truth.

For proof, why don't you look at gun sales, at what Jason Vanderbrink said, and use you own common sense? BTW, anything blamed on the gov't for this must cover both sides of the aisle as this started long before the new administration took office.
I never said I was right about this belief of mine. I certainly never said that one side of the aisle is more to blame than the other. I have been warned about talking about this subject on this forum, so as much as I would love to discuss this topic with you, I will have to allow you to enjoy your opinion while I spend my time in my conspiracy world.

BTW, For proof I have looked at the number of new gun owners there are today. I blame the government for that, too.

I have about 200 twice fired .378 Wby . cases and I have already shot about everything I can find around here to shoot with the .378 Wby. Brass being expensive and hard to find, I thought I would resize some of that brass. Besides, I love bigger. Too much is almost enough.

Do you have any idea how much something like that would cost? I have a new to me 340 Wby with a lot of extra money spent on making it a long-range shooter. I love my .378 and think I would really love a .338 cal. rifle with a little more launch energy.
Let's talk soon. Jill and I are shooting Friday Sat & Sun so I'll be out of the loop. PM me for comtact info.
Thanks
Len

I almost bought a 30-378 but have since decided that a .338 caliber rifle would be fun. When I bought the 340 Wby. I wasn't really thinking about souping it up, but then someone said I should think about doing just that. I'm only thinking--and dreaming. My wife says that is what I do best.
To begin, I have no knowledge on a .30/378 at all, but I do remember hearing "Broz" on a Long Range Pursuits podcast say he once had one in a light rifle that actually chipped a tooth of his.

To begin, I have no knowledge on a .30/378 at all, but I do remember hearing "Broz" on a Long Range Pursuits podcast say he once had one in a light rifle that actually chipped a tooth of his.
All my teeth are plastic anyway! In a lite weight rifle and no brake, I can see where someone not prepared for the recoil could get the dog snot knocked out of them. I made a quick shot with my 7mm RM and got a scope stuck in my forehead.

When I was young I shot plenty of big boomers as I worked at Lion Country Safari outside West Palm Beach Florida.
The worst was an older 416 Remington Magnum I think it was.They got me to shoot a 416 Taylor and had a stiff kick but not horrible but that 416 Remington Mag was the worst kicker I have ever shot.458 win mag also a big kicker.
Too old now to put up with big kickers now,300 weatherby mag is about it for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.