America's bald eagle population continues to soar

Several pairs were released along the Natchez trace highway here in Tennessee. We see them fairly regularly. The second picture is right at my driveway.
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg

Last edited:
The area around a local lake here has a couple mature adults and at least 3-4 younger ones. My friend that took this picture is pretty serious about his photo equipment. The image got cut down to go on here, but the original image is about 19mb and you can zoom in to see the definition in the eagle's eye very clearly.

Attachments

• 850_2664-dn_Original.jpeg
    850_2664-dn_Original.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 53
I'm in western Pa and seen the first eagle locally probably 10 years ago. Nowadays if you went fishing on any local river or creek you will see one. Population has steadily increased yearly.
And as @manitou mentioned about lead bullets, I believe Pennsylvania is in near the top of the list of deer taken with a firearm. I'd guess at least 75% using lead bullets but this is a guess since I honestly do not know anyone who uses monos for deer.
I am not a copper bullet hater and have some on my shelf waiting for me but it may be a while until I get around to trying them unless I am forced to. ☹️

Onondaga Lake on the north side of Syracuse has a winter population upwards of 150.

If you ever go to Alaska you wouldn't believe that they were ever endangered.
Yes, Sir! It has been at least a decade since my last trip to AK, so I am long overdue to visit my niece/BIL in Anchorage. Maybe a fishing trip or hunt is in order.

(Awesome tune too!)

ADDED: @Len Backus also has a similar thread, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/lens-bald-eagle-photo-trip-to-alaska.5830/. Unfortunately, I can no longer view the pictures.

Last edited:
I see them quite oftern here in Oregon. When I was in outside sales in the Pac NW I saw them in my entire area. OR, WA, MT, and ID. And there's a ton of varmint hunting in every state using lead bullets. Anthropomorphism is just one method they use in propaganda.

The area around a local lake here has a couple mature adults and at least 3-4 younger ones. My friend that took this picture is pretty serious about his photo equipment. The image got cut down to go on here, but the original image is about 19mb and you can zoom in to see the definition in the eagle's eye very clearly.
WOW! Nice picture.

Now that's a great picture!

Yes, Sir! It has been at least a decade since my last trip to AK, so I am long overdue to visit my niece/BIL in Anchorage. Maybe a fishing trip or hunt is in order.

(Awesome tune too!)

My older brother lived in Dutch Harbor for 28 years and sent me a picture of over 30 Bald Eagles on one fishing vessel. There was no lack of them in the Matanuska Valley where I lived. It was common to see 20 or more at the dump.