Am I missing something with the redding "S" type?

Tikkamike

I have a set of redding "S" Type bushing dies. for my 338 lapua. I am still in the process of getting my dies fire formed (Lapua Brass). so I have not used my bushing yet. Where I am confused is why is there an expander ball? If I put the bushing in isnt the expander which is a given diameter going to undo the work of my specifically chosen Bushing? Maybe I am missing something?? Seems to me like the die would be better suited for a decapping rod that does not have an expander ball. can someone give me a hand with this?

Hey Mike

I can't speak for anyone else but I would guess that most use the bushing die without the expander. At least I do.

I suppose some will pick a bushing that sizes the ID only .001" below the diameter of the expander so that when the expander comes back thru it will do minimal sizing (and jerking the neck out of concentricity). That may be the preferable way to use the die if you don't outside neck turn to a consistant neck thickness or have perfect brass.

I deprime all my cases with a Universal deprimer. Don't like the extra bumping around when I deprime with a sizing die. It seems to happen right when I'm trying to feel the sizing process.

I deprime all my cases with a Universal deprimer. Don't like the extra bumping around when I deprime with a sizing die. It seems to happen right when I'm trying to feel the sizing process.

What make of die do you use for depriming? Was thinking of buying a Lee.

I have a lee universal deprimer die, it will not accept my 338 LM cases. I bought the large redding deprimer die.

Last edited:
If you are using Lapua brass and only down sizing .002 ~.003 I doubt you will feel much drag as the expander comes back through.

Jeff

I asked this same question just a day ago on a different board. From what I've gathered, the Redding S bushing dies have a reduced size expander ball that really doesn't touch the neck, it only holds the decapping pin. However, since more people already use a universal decapper, you can remove that stem altogether. If you're getting dented necks between firing and cleaning, you can use a standard Lee neck expander to clean up the neck, then the bushing die to size it where it needs to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts