7mm 168 Load. What am I missing?

texan79

Perhaps its my inexeperience in the field of reloading, but there are a few things that I am reading that dont make sense.

HSM Trophy Gold 7mm Rem mag ammo topped with 168 VLD, down a 26" tube boasts 3058 fps at the muzzle.

All the reloading data I have found says that this over max load. When I asked them, they say its not an extreme load. Im guessing 73-74 grains of H1000 to get this kind of velocity?

Are these published pressures and loads on the light side? how far can I push it until I need to be worried?

Any recipes out there would be great, even better, a good source of data where I can educate myself.

Thanks.

That is an almost identical load to mine, 168 berger, 73gr H1000, federal case federal 215 primer, 26" barrel 3087 fps. No problems with this load.

Look at what pressures the loading manuals are keeping their 7mm mag too. You will probably find they are down at 55,000 psi rather than the 60,000 psi that the modern 7wsm are. There is no reason why in a modern rifle the 7mm mag cannot be loaded to 60,000 psi.

NZLongranger on here publishes a magazine called NZHunter. He had an article on the 7mm mag with 162 a-max. He attached a strain gauge and Oehler 43 ballsitic lab and recorded pressure as he worked up the load, very interesting. he may be able to get a copy of the article to you. Try PM him or search for NZHunter on the web and send him an e-mail.

Stu.

Last edited:
I have very similar load

7mm rem mag (weatherby rifle)
26in barel
168 VLD Target Match
70.5gr - H-1000
250M CCI - primer
Rem Brass
2942fps
This load is far from hot load (74gr of H-1000) is the max load for this rifle, but 70.5gr shots all day 0.25MOA

thanks guys.

Kiwi, I read your post on the 168 bergers and jotted that recipe down. I think im going to borrow that one.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.