Am I CRAZY???

Alaska2006

So tell me I'm crazy. I'm of the STW fan club and have shot one for a few years.
I've never bought into the 28 Nosler hype (well maybe a little)
Anyway some months ago I purchased a Proof Carbon 30" (finish at 28") with plans to build a 28 Nosler. With that I never really drank the Nosler Kool aid.
So here I sit with a nice Proof barrel and a Defience LA. Now I'm thinking about building a looong throat 7 STW to eat the Berger 195s. The 195s are delivering impressive results out of the 28 Nosler and I can see where the performance would be any less (maybe better) out of the STW.
Looking at a long 4.100 mag box and long throat.

Any guidance from you STW experts?

I don't have any personal experience from either, but I don't think you would go wrong with either one. The 28 Nosler is probably gonna be the most main stream of the Nosler cartridges, so that means that it has the highest likelihood of different manufacturers starting brass production. Also, it has a shorter OAL so a 4.1" box may not be needed. The STW is a proven cartridge as well, and you wouldn't have to invest in new dies. Brass is made by several manufacturers, you just have to find it in stock, but you already have some on hand.

I'm not sure what your barrel life looks like with the STW, but the 28 tends to be around 800 rounds from people I have talked to before it starts going down hill, if ran at moderate to somewhat aggressive shooting.

Either one, with that 195 scootin, is going to be a wind cheating machine. It should be an awesome build, and a heck of a performer either way.

I just rebarreled my Sendero 7STW going with a 30" finished Bartlein in 8.25" twist. I have a 4" mag box. My chamber ended up being very close to SAMMI headspace wise, I have all the info here. http://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7stw-refresh.191205/

I was testing drops this weekend at it looks like the speed is closer to 3100 FPS with 78g of N570. I was up to 82 grains which was well into 3200 fps land but woudl be hard on brass.

I am not sure throating longer is really needed. I think the twist is the magic with this bullet. Even at 82 grains with the bullet at .030 OTL or 3.150 CTOL with an COAL of 3.900 I was not touching the powder with the bullet when seating.

7STW is a cool and very capable caliber, especially with the 195 weight bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.