I am trying to get into 7mmSTW

Joep17,....I know where there is a m70, in 300hh...!!!!!!!#.

If I ever get another it will be with all the modern whistles, bells, and a 28-30" barrel, for the express purpose of demonstrating it can still hold it's own.

Mine's morphed into a .338 RUM these days.

If I ever get another it will be with all the modern whistles, bells, and a 28-30" barrel, for the express purpose of demonstrating it can still hold it's own.

Mine's morphed into a .338 RUM these days.
Take the knife out of my heart please.

We can all afford to build great rigs with unlimited budgets. Please let the last classics as they are...:

You can get a new Winchester 70 with a pre64 action built up to modern standards for cheaper than a pre 64! Use those as a project!

Semi related story, one person found an old typewriter and cut every single key off of it and sold them on eBay for $1.50 each, and after a little research they found out they had one of 2 of those typewriters in existence, worth tens of thousands of dollars, and they sold most of the only irreplaceable parts of that typewriter.

It makes me cringe at taking apart and only using the parts we like on classic anything's

......You can get a new Winchester 70 with a pre64 action built up to modern standards for cheaper than a pre 64! Use those as a project!
.........It makes me cringe at taking apart and only using the parts we like on classic anything's.....

Exception is there are still some out there that are past useful service without some modification, and aren't in collectable condition.

Did you guys look at the picture of that Model 70? It needs to be rescued from it's misery. He is doing what needs to be done with it.

Did you guys look at the picture of that Model 70? It needs to be rescued from it's misery. He is doing what needs to be done with it.
Oh take the knife out of my heart for the 3rd time. Et tu Brutae? I would put that action on a shelf with other trophies I am sure it has a rich history and only if it could talk.

If it were legally possible I would trade him an R700 that has been trued and blue printed. The barrel is worth a lot too.

Dear Jack O:
Please forgive the unwashed

Joel....you better slow down before you have heart failure....
Just think of all those classics that are sold off as junk...and then eventually cut to pieces....
I did some work last fall for an older lady...was admirering some pictures on the wall....old guns....she finally admitted that she collected derringers....had couple hundred of them...which in itself is very cool....then she told me about a pair of colt 45 with pearl handles that her grandfather had...they are sitting on the front seat of the 1924 car that they drove to grandpas funeral.....in storage.....

Joel....you better slow down before you have heart failure....
Just think of all those classics that are sold off as junk...and then eventually cut to pieces....
I did some work last fall for an older lady...was admirering some pictures on the wall....old guns....she finally admitted that she collected derringers....had couple hundred of them...which in itself is very cool....then she told me about a pair of colt 45 with pearl handles that her grandfather had...they are sitting on the front seat of the 1924 car that they drove to grandpas funeral.....in storage.....
That is it..... I cannot handle this forum. Why do I only get people trying to sell me a 1967 Volkswagen as a classic car.....

But now I am going to follow my personal policy of pulling a thread back to OP so we can give advice and help.

I still think an STW is a great round.

Sako build some beauties. Have never helped a guy where we could not get it to shoot great. Never have touched a Sendero only read about them so I cannot give a personal comment. All articles liked them.

If R26 works Better than R25 would love to hear about it.

But now I am going to follow my personal policy of pulling a thread back to OP so we can give advice and help.

I still think an STW is a great round.

Sako build some beauties. Have never helped a guy where we could not get it to shoot great. Never have touched a Sendero only read about them so I cannot give a personal comment. All articles liked them.

If R26 works Better than R25 would love to hear about it.

Joe, I had a Sako 75, in 7STW, and it shot lites out. Finicky though! When I figured the load, oooo, how sweet it was.

Put A 150 TTSX, adjust the load of R25, and a little adjustment of seating depth and it is magic. Wish I knew what to do with R26? That is the problem of helping buddies get a load for THEIR rifle. The SAKO's are great. Not to digress off the 7STW topic, I never met a SAKO that I did not like. Seen 2 or 3 or .... ?animals succumb to that GREAT cartridge.

It is such a balance that all of us have been trying more and less for decades.

Long live the STW and the great folks on this forum will keep it relevant. Layne was a genius back then even with out powders we have today. Barrel life MIGHT be a little less than your favorite 223 though..

Did I mention I love all cartridges

Last edited:
Again
I have to pull the thread back to 7 STW.....
Now all of you turn off your devices and get ready to watch the Canadian gals play hockey!

Poulin is "our" 7 STW! Hope I know how to cook crow in the morning...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.