Almost had my first case separation

Exactly where mine separated....I bet to the mm......
Hot loads....no....24" barrel 65284 at 2950fps
Other rifle chambered the same...same gunsmith...same reamer....26" barrel...shooting between 2975 -3000fps...never a case separation.......

Chamber of rifle with the separation been checked many times.....nothing wrong with it.....
No hot loads. Only getting about 2700FPS. Norma works well.

Keeping it safe
Keep doing it your way. Don't listen to people here pushing things beyond where they should be. The internet has been the driving force behind that ignorance since it's inception.

Having said that, 2850 with a 140 class bullet is a good reasonable spot to top out with a 6.5x284. The good load will often come before that... but it wouldn't bother me to run a 26" barrel up that much. Slow barrel/fast barrel can vary from that a little bit, but not a lot.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Last edited:
I have never seen one separate in the middle of the case like that. Thanks for posting and supplying the excellent pictures. Not sure what would have caused it, but thankfully you caught it when you did. If it was something you were doing wrong while reloading, it would have shown up in other cases too. Might be just be a defective piece of brass.
I blew a 6.5 creed in half at the middle the other day... usually it's just above the web, but it can happen higher up

I too have had issues with Nosler Brass! I have a 27 Nosler built 1 1/2 years ago that I loaded 30 Nosler in until I got 27 nosler brass new!! On either the first or second firing I got almost complete case seperation on nearly all cases fired!! I contacted nosler about this issue and sent them this brass to inspect!! And like I guessed they came back with it's not there brass at fault ! Now I've been loading for 30 plus years and never never had an issue like this !! There stuff is Junk !!before you all suggest my load was over pressure here's what is loaded
I'm using Imr 7977 @73.5 gr with wlrm and nosler 150gr acc-LR@ 3.335 oal it's a middle of the load -load

You aren't the Lone Ranger. Found this is my ammo box after an elk hunt in Wyoming. Brass was on second loading, and had been annealed. It was in one piece when I picked it out but fell apart while I was handling it. Had a hard time finding any new .270 Winchester brass this spring so defaulted to Nosler. The load is sub 1/2" all day long with Bergers and Superformance. Dropped my elk with one shot. Didn't notice the case until a week later. No more Nosler brass for me.
What the hell is up with this stuff, same place in the case, someone has a problem for sure, glad you got your elk, wish I had some roast from one. Congrats, I had a 270 mauser,

Monte Carlo stock, and Douglas barrel, and a .22 Browning Belgium auto.

ADG 300 RUM brass after 4th firing . The one on the far
IMG_20221016_071637429.jpg
left is 3rd firing. I just picked out 10 cases with visible ring on the outside but feel no separation inside. The 3rd from left wasn't trimmed yet. I imagine I could shoot those one more time but not worth it to me.

Easiest way to remove half of a case stuck in your chamber is to have a pistol rod with a bore brush , say .45 caliber in your range kit.

If you have half the case stuck in your chamber run the brush up into the neck/shoulder and give a quick tug.

The bristles will be unable to reverse direction and will grab the walls of the case and it will come right out.

No digging with a pocket knife or stick allowed…😝

ADG 300 RUM brass after 4th firing . The one on the far View attachment 402111left is 3rd firing. I just picked out 10 cases with visible ring on the outside but feel no separation inside. The 3rd from left wasn't trimmed yet. I imagine I could shoot those one more time but not worth it to me.
That's crazy! I've got some rp 300rum brass that killed a 7rum barrel, got necked up to 300 rum, and has survived multiple firings as 300rum. Prolly 10 or better cycles so far from factory m700 bdl rifles... I've seen shorter life cycle from 7stw (3 to 5 firings) fl sizing instead of neck or partial fl, but that's quick for rum

That's crazy! I've got some rp 300rum brass that killed a 7rum barrel, got necked up to 300 rum, and has survived multiple firings as 300rum. Prolly 10 or better cycles so far from factory m700 bdl rifles... I've seen shorter life cycle from 7stw (3 to 5 firings) fl sizing instead of neck or partial fl, but that's quick for rum
Freaked me out. I waited after 2nd firing to bump shoulder. Maybe from what I've read should of waited after 3rd ? Have never had this problem with ADG in 300 win. mag, 7 Rem. mag. or 6.5 PRC or Lapua in 6.5x284. Never had problem with Rem 300 Rum cases ever but it was with factory barrel. This is a somewhat new Bartlien barrel. Redding comp dies.

Freaked me out. I waited after 2nd firing to bump shoulder. Maybe from what I've read should of waited after 3rd ? Have never had this problem with ADG in 300 win. mag, 7 Rem. mag. or 6.5 PRC or Lapua in 6.5x284. Never had problem with Rem 300 Rum cases ever but it was with factory barrel. This is a somewhat new Bartlien barrel. Redding comp dies.
I'm using rcbs fl dies for 2 different 300rum barrels... brass growth under 5 thou. per firing (more like 3) fl sizing fully screwed down
seems like the chamber was cut a bit deep and partial fl would help... Do you have the ability to neck up a bit then back down for a false shoulder? That would prolly doubly your shot count before you have issues. I'm starting to do this a bit more lately on a couple of my toys