ALLIANT RELODER 23

I tried it in my 7mm Practical when I couldn't find H-1000. I gave up some velocity even at max pressure which wasn't a great surprise. What was a surprise was that it produced excellent accuracy and the de-coppering worked well.
Fortunately I was able to find quite a bit of H-1000 and life is good.

I ordered some from Brownells a couple weeks ago. Along with a bunch of other powders. Plan to use it in my 6.5-06 but have since got in to Form 1 suppressors so I have not loaded any but need to.

Testing suppressor configurations my ammo supply is getting a bit low.

So it's just real popular not been discontinued!

Never used 23, but 22, 25 and/or 26 will work well.
I'm using 26 in several similar cartridges. It is not as sensitive to temperature changes.

In my three 270 Winchesters RL23 has very similar performance to H4831SC although the load weights differ. In my rifles with H4831SC the accuracy and SDs improve with increasing charges up to max and a little over, with RL23 the accuracy and SDs worsen slightly with increasing charge weights. RL26 is top dog for velocity with 150 grain bullets in my 24" barrels, but not much better in the 22" barrel (just more blast), and I've got to have a reduced load for summer use ... it seems that in my rifles it is more temp sensitive. For my use in my rifles I've chosen H4831SC as my go to powder year round.

I like the stuff quite a lot. I'd bought a bunch of 23 and 26 when they first came out years ago. Well, I used a lot of 26 for about everything. It wasn't until recently that my stash of 26 was getting low I decided to try the 23. Man, I'm glad I did. Nice case fill, accurate and seems to be really nice shooting stuff in my 270 Win and 150's.

Partitions are 400 yards

Seems to be hard to get. Has it been discontinued? Anyone have experience with it in 6.5-06 class cartridges?
RL-23 is one of the good options to try; at 60 deg. F, in my M70 25-06 it gives subMOA with 100 gr. Barnes TSX @ 3300 fps. At a recent prehunt sight check I did see that speeds were down about 40 fps while range temps were up to about 90 deg. F. Point of impact was still good. I've got about 16 lbs of it and have tried RL-23 in other loads tests. It gave subMOA with 124 gr Hammer Hunters in a new 6.5 PRC at speeds that were about 100 fps slower than what RL-26 was giving. RL-26 is my choice for that PRC. Both RL-23 and RL-26 have decoppering agents and cleanup after 20-30 rounds has been quick. Bottom Line: RL-23 is a good option to try but it shouldn't be the only option you try.

Keep checking at Powder Valley and Midsouth Shooters supply. I got 2 8#'ers about 6 weeks ago. It is available but usually sells out quickly. Both of the gun shops here in OK had lots of 1# last week.

The gun store where I worked was out of stock of the more popular powders. Especially for 6.5 CM loads. It wasn't just our stores, everyone has problems getting powder

What we didn't have problems getting and had plenty in stock was powder for shot shell and black powder equivalent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.