ALLEN PRECISION SHOOTING reintroduction......Part 3, XHS, the beast!!

Are you asking if you should be using the 300 gr. Berger in your 338 RUM? If so, i would certainly try it. The berger tends to run a bit faster in velocity for the same pressure loads compared to the 300 gr. SMK. Also has a bit higher BC. I will not say it will shoot better then the 300 gr. SMK as it is a very accurate bullet in most rifles. They both are very consistent and accurate most of the time. Only real downside to the berger is its ogive length is significantly longer then the SMK so when both are seated to the same relationship to the lands, the Berger loads will have a longer OAL and may or may not fit into a repeating rifles magazine box. On a side not, this is one reason i designed my 338 and 375 Allen Xpress using the lapua case. Its short and fat and easier to fit into magazines then longer cases. One of many reasons i went with the design i did 15 years back!

It would work fine in the 375 rum. Expansion with the smk can be a bit inconsistent in most chamberings because of the heavy jacket but they tend to shoot very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.