Alex County Rifle Shoot 06'

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Alex County Rifle Shoot 06\'

Well we just finsihed up the annual Spring Alex County rifle shoot. Everything went pretty well. Me and BJ headed out around 6 this morning and after a brief encounter with the local law enforcement for driving WAY to fast we arrived at the range.

We had the best turn out yet with nearly 30 people shooting. Calibers varied from my 22-250 and BJ's 6-250 to 25-06's and a 300 Jarrett. We shot at 3" ballons at 100-250-400-and 500yds, we had 12 targets and 14 shots with 10minutes to shoot.

We set up the swaro spotter and Bj set up for his first relay, he did well but not great and he quickly realized that he may have let the nerves get to him. He was registerd for 2 heats in the first round so he had another chance.

I set up for my only heat since I only registered once. I had recently gotten a used Kimber to shoot and since I could only shoot a 55gr bullet I new the wind would play hell with me so I saw no need for 2 experinces of embarressment. I actually did pretty good in my heat and scoreda 370 out of i think 450 total, i was happy considering I was shooting a factory gun with virgin brass off a bipod against guys shooting full bore bench guns with heavy for caliber bullets.

Bj did substantially better on his second round but neither of us made it into the finals. The man who ended up winning was a local gunsmith who specializes in 22-243's. At this shoot there was probably 6-8 guys shooting 22-243's made by him.

After this was all over we had our annual 500yd egg shoot. Each shooter pays 5 bucks to enter and gets a guaranteed 2 shoots at a egg suspended at 500yds. BJ was up first and I spotted for him. He was a little disapointed in himself but he quickly remedied that!! His first shot was just a inch or so off the egg and after a quick adjustment there was yolk flying!! 2 other shooters killed the eggs and a shootoff insued. BJ quickly settled that with a first shot egg explosion, and I mean a EXPLOSION!!! WIth that he won the egg shot and made up his mind about whether or not his 6-250 would shoot!! Gratuitious Kirby praise here: Hell of a job again Kirby!!!

We played around with the big guns on the steel gongs out to 760yds after this and everyone was really impressed with the power of the Allen Mags again.

BJ has some video of the egg shoot, him hitting and me missing though so I am sure you all wont wanna see that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Hopefully he will get that posted tommorrow and maybe we can get Gator and 6-06 to post their thoughts as well

To Rick, Darrin and Larry thanks for having all of us down again, look forward to the fall shoot.

Thanks
Steve

Re: Alex County Rifle Shoot 06\'

[ QUOTE ]
driving WAY to fast

[/ QUOTE ] If they caught you then you must have been driving WAY TOO SLOW.

I am not sure of any legal implications here but I will just say that a buddy of mine got pulled over going just shy of 20mph over the speed limit, our situation was roughly similiar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was more conscerned with explaining the 6 rifles and 400rnds of ammo we had in the truck. Actually I was more concerned with coming up with a smart @$$ reply if he asked about the guns!!! BUt then I figured that might not be a good idea!!

The patrolmen was nice about the whole thing and I offered him a good price on a EO-TECH sight since I was wearing one of their shirts and he was interested in them.

Of course running from him is always a option but last time I checked Chevy put a governor in their trucks for 100mph, at least I was a little under that mark!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell if I didnt like things fast I wouldnt have hooked up with ol' Kirby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

steve

It was a great time!! Thanks to Rick for putting on a great event. If any of you guys are close, you really ought to come down this fall. This event is quickly becoming one of my favorites!!

Also want to thank Kirby for building me a helluva rifle (review w/pics to come tonight). Anything that can hit an egg 2 out of 3 shots @ 500 yds is a keeper in my books!!

I think everyone had a good time at the shoot and we had some experienced shooters there as well (Apparently I wasn't one of them).
Here are a few pics that I took at the beginning of the event.
I should have taken more pictures and will at the next event if they let me attend.
AlexRifleClub5-7-06.jpg

AlexRifleClub5-7-062.jpg

RickReeves-PreachingtotheChoir.jpg

693e8bc3.jpg

7fc9664c.jpg

dc0b7d07.jpg

2a0db1cb.jpg

If you happen to recognize anyone in the pictures - don't admit to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a great time even though I can't shoot worth a crap.

Larry

In the third pic from the bottom you have BJ looking back to me and asking "Steve, Why cant I shoot as good as you, I just dont get it!!"

HA HA HA HA

THe shoot was a lot of fun and thanks for the pics Gator

steve

That's Rick Reeves in the second pic from the bottom looking at his cows on the hill saying "I think he just shot one of my cows".
Just kidding B.J..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

I took a few pics. I'll post them this evening along w/the ones of my rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
That's Rick Reeves in the second pic from the bottom looking at his cows on the hill saying "I think he just shot one of my cows".

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been known to shoot one before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Bill:

An egg 2 out of 3 times at 500 yards is pretty good shooting in anybody's book. Congrats on some fine shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like Kirby built another shooter. Seems like that happens quite often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's probably a good thing that one of Rick's cows wasn't looking a little sick or there might have been another video in the making. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looking forward to the pics and gun review when you get them posted.

Sounds like a fun time with good people and good shooting.

One question for Bill, did you notice any bounce from your rifle using that bipod on the contrete bench top? I have always found a bipod supported rifle to bounce inconsistantly when shot off a hard surface. Do not notice it with a semi soft or soft surface like the ground but I hate shooting bipods off a hard surface.

Just curious if you noticed any of this when you shot your 6mm. Also seems to effect the tracking of the rifles recoil although this is not a major concern with that rifle but it can make some difference when your trying to cut a little group of hit a small target consistantly at long range.

Appearently if did not effect things much with the egg shoot!!

You boys should know by now that my rifles are hunting rifles, there has to be an organic target before they really get excited about shooting, thats why the eggs were in trouble and the balloons not so much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!!

Good shooting, looks like a good time!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I haven't had a problem w/the 6-250 or my 270 AM or my 300 RUM. All have shot very consistanly off of these benches. The guy that owns the place as well as some of the local folks shoot the bipods as well and as far as I know, don't have any trouble. 6-06 shoots a 25-06 12BVSS Savage unbreaked off of it all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
You boys should know by now that my rifles are hunting rifles, there has to be an organic target before they really get excited about shooting, thats why the eggs were in trouble and the balloons not so much !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what the problem was!! It really wasn't the rifles fault though. I had a mental lapse that cost me a spot in the shoot-off. Oh well, if it was too easy it wouldn't be any fun!!

Fifty,

I actually had a conversation with a guy about these hunting rifles. I took a loaded, fireformed, shined up, **** sexy looking 270AM round to a budy of mine to show him what they looked like. While he was staring in awe at the bad *** little round another guy walked up and began looking at it.

First thing he says to me is "You better be good friends with your bbl maker" Now automatically I am ****ed off. I know that rounds this big are not for everyone and that is fine, but you didnt see me walking up to him and making some smart *** comment about his gun.

Well I respectfully replied with " Yea I know bbl life is short but it is not a bench gun and it aint a varmint rifle, its a big game gun and if shot like that it should last a long time"

He began mumbling some crap about how stupid it is for people to shoot guns this big and how you can burn out a bbl before you find a load and how with 400 rounds down my pipe he figured it was just a smooth tube!!

I told him to stick around and watch me beat the hell out of the 760yd gong with fireforming loads and then he can comment.

And oh by the way, in the actual shoot he was beat severly by me and BJ, HA HA HA HA jerk

Just wanted to let ya know we are defending your honor in oklahoma Kirby

take it easy
steve

BJ and Steve,

Thanks for the support and fine shooting. You will get alot of that crap about burning your barrels out before you find a good round. Problem is that most shooters using conventional chamberings are "tinkerers".

Ya know the grass is always greener types. Always something better with the next brand of bullets or next type of powder.

Load the freakin thing up to the velocity you want, play with seating depth to tighten up extreme spread and start hammering chucks at +1K!!!

After a barrel is broke in, you should be able to find a good load in under 30 rounds down the bore with a quality rifle and componants.

Just tell those guys that they better stick to their PPCs and BRs and leave the barrel burners to us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

They bitch and moan about barrel life until they witness the power of those things hammering steel or game at long range, then they seem to change their minds or simply get real quiet!!!

Thanks for the plugs. They will simply pass out when they see your new 7mm AM!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I think I might pass out when I see it, or try to carry it from my truck to the bench!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I first got my 270AM I treated it like a varmint gun and I know that is not what she was designed for. When I have you re bbl it to a lighter contour she will be a long range big game gun that comes out everyonce in awhile to flip pdogs!!!

Too bad the pecker didnt stick around long enough to see the big girl work her magic at 760yds. The thump on their 12wide x 12 thick gong is deafening!!!!!

All the rest of those guys down their are impressed by it. Even this one old guy who I figured would be on the "its just a bbl burner" crowd was amazed by it. Actually I think his response was "Holy $h!t, the case is longer than my ----!!!!!!"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.