Airline approved 'wheeled' gun case suggestions?

Heading to Scheels this weekend. Looks like they have several of the ones suggested for me to look at and decide. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thought I'd put the finishing touch on this thread. Made it to Scheels and looked at several Pelican models, the SKB and Nanuk. Ended up with a Nanuk 995. It had a feature I liked, i.e. the ability to lock 2 of the latches with the included key. That way if it's not traveling via airline, I can use those locks to keep prying young hands from opening the case. Thanks again for all the suggestions. All the cases were great, it just came down to Individual preference.

I asked this question awhile back and got a lot of similar answers. The one that peaked my interest the most is Tuffpak, it doesn't look like a gun case, had the room to put my rifles in case while still in soft cases, and enough room to pack clothes in the case also instead of checking another bag

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the travel rifle case that harbor freight sells?
I have a buddy of mine that has a lot of high end guns and he uses those from harbor freight and loves them. He thinks they're great quality.

The case will often be the cheapest part of a hunt involving an airline.... pelican or nothing.

My first pelican was a predecessor to the 1750, same length and width but a little deeper. Could pack a rimfire, shotgun and rifle in it and just barely clear airline weight. It went from Florida to Adak and everywhere in between, boats and planes of all variety. Heck it was strapped to the belly of an old float plane, and used for a bench seat on an airboat in the FL panhandle within the same month.

Few years back it was in a vehicle of mine that was stolen. Thankfully it was empty, about 3 months later it was found by a hiker at the bottom of a cliff. It appeared to have been thrown off the cliff by whomever stole vehicle (pull out viewpoint above where it was found) The hiker was able to look up the address on the case and returned it to me, had a broken hinge and a hairline crack in the seal lip. I called pelican about trying to source a new hinge and gasket for the seal. The case was old enough the hinge was out of production, without prompting pelican shipped me a brand new equivalent case (little bit shallower but has nicer features) air cargo 3 days later.

I'll never buy another brands hard size case. They made a good product, but the service and support made me a customer for life.