Airline Gun Case

lbnugent

Traveling west for first time for hogs and turkey and need a gun case that will hold a scoped xbolt and shot gun. Most cases I see out there are for only one rifle. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The Pelican 2N2 seems great but a little steep price.
Lee

Hey, Ive only flown with a firearm once and I got the airline case from Bass pro. It was aluminum, and good for the money I paid, but only a 1 gun model.
I looked thru the latest Cabelas shooting catalogue after reading your post, and I see some pretty nice cases, Cabelas brand. Aluminum and plastic. Granted theyre not Pelican cases, but theyre not priced that way either:)
The catalogue page says ''to view our entire selection of gun cases, go to cabelas.com''..........Ive never seen them there, but then again Ive never looked for them that way either. May wanna give that a try.

Flight proof-Rhino or black rhino or something like that. Two rifle one on top of each other with plenty of padding. I bought it because it was cheap(on sale $120) at the local scheels. Don't know if I will ever use it though.

Brent

IMO go with the Pelican. We used several different types for all kinds of gear during my time in the Corps and they never failed. I have a 1750 for my LR rig and it is serving well. Save up a little more $ and buy a case that will last.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a 2 gun case but I may take my rifle and borrow a shotgun for turkeys. I've seen some 1750 prices that are within reason. Would there be room to tuck a S&W 686 in too?

I've used a SKB 2-gun for several years with no problems. You probably will want the model with wheels for 2 guns. Sometimes it's a pretty good stroll from baggage claim to your transportation.

Don't laugh.

Buy a lockable hard golf case. Both guns in soft cases and wrapped easily fit along with other items.

Costs less than a standard 2 gun case by a lot.

Remember to put private insurance on them. Airlines only cover baggage to $750 and have tons of exclusions.

BH

Picked up a Browning 2 gun case. Room for both rifle, shot gun and 357mag. Never gave insuring them a thought but Swarovski scopes are tough but probably not airline baggage proof. My neighbor is a Browning dealer and the price was right.
Thanks for the input, this is my first out of state hunting trip hopefully first of many.

IMO go with the Pelican. We used several different types for all kinds of gear during my time in the Corps and they never failed. I have a 1750 for my LR rig and it is serving well. Save up a little more $ and buy a case that will last.

+1
It's hard to spend the money on a custom rifle and optics but its even harder not to spend it on a case to protect it in. Airline baggage handleing is a contact sport! my Pelican has the scars to prove it over 25,000 miles and no rifle damage.

Cabela's: Cabela's "Bullet Proof" One Black-Powder Rifle Case
Here's the gun case I bought to put my 338 Edge in for an Alaska spring bear hunt. The last time I flew I had a brand new case like this Amazon.com: Winchester Double Rifle Case Black: Sports & Outdoors

I couldn't believe how badly they beat it up. The aluminum rim around the edges was knocked off on one end and it was scratched and dented all over. I took it to the baggage claim in Salt Lake City and showed them. At first the said all cases will eventually get scratched up like that. I told her it was the first time I'd used it. She said "WOW" and imediately paid me for the case.
I was lucky though. I guy, who I'd sat next to on the plane, was goming home from a Sitka bear hunt. When we saw his case come down the belt I about died. His barrel was sticking out the end of his guncase!! They'd slammed his case so hard that the barrel had parted/bent the end of the case open.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts