AI Rifle Opportunity - Someone please talk some sense into my head!

Brown Dog

Here's the situation….

You've been offered an AWP at a good price (AWP is the CT version of the straight AW –guaranteed sub 0.5MOA).

Someone has offered to buy your 0.7MOA 308 sporter at a good price. 'Swopping' to the AWP will only cost you £300 / $500.

You're left-handed…..Your sporter is left-handed…...4 years ago, you promised yourself you would only buy left-handed rifles……BUT……...the AWP is right handed.

And….

Your judgement is clouded because you've always had a hankering for an AI rifle.

What do you do??!

Someone please talk some sense to me!

...As far as I know the AI stocks are ambidextrous...
Only problem is the bolt handle.

I had a play with one of their stocks not long ago, and in honesty, couldn't see what all the fuss was about(the price)

If the rifle is a garanteed .5 then why not?
£300 for an IA, yeah I would do it too.

grin.gif
you have all my support, mate.

As a right hander I wouldn't buy a left handed rifle no matter what.

Gaining 0.2moa and losing rapid follow up shot ability plus risking your eyesight in the event of a pressure incident might make the deal seem less sweet!

Why not buy a thumbhole stock for your rifle? Sounds like that is the major difference.

Shooting a rifle for the wrong hand is something I would never compromise on. Besides, that difference in accuracy is academic and really of not sig in the real world on realistic targets.

Can you shoot the AI to verify its accuracy? will also answer the 'can I live with it question'

Jerry

brown dog

i have an AI rifle and it is the business as far as i am concerned.

however, they are not garuanteed to shoot .5moa, it is .75moa and then only using match grade ammo. also, there are no garuantees in life, and you don't know how it's been treated before you've got it. if it is so good, why is it for sale?

the stock is ambidextrous (correct spelling?) but the bolt isn't obviously!

i'd go for it if i were you, but bear in mind they are very heavy!

As a fellow lefty, hold out for the LH rig.
McMillan's A5 makes a stock in LH for us guys. Get a tacticle rifle setup FOR YOU. That's the whole purpose of a "custom rifle".

You'll regret it if you buy anougher RH rifle...sakofan..Stand up for your rights as a Lefty!!!..LOL
grin.gif

The AI's around here tend to do more like .5-.25. Not that I could do that, but they are one holers

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts!

Did the dirty and sold my .308 sporter last night. Although it is a 0.7MOA rifle, I never found it terribly forgiving of less than perfect technique ...0.7MOA on the range but less in the field (me being the limitation!). Never shot anything beyond 200m with it other than plinking at paper....a confidence issue. (I didn't sell my 300wm though!)

The AI... well, I'm 95% decided. I had to learn to shoot my 'work' rifle right-handed (the more astute will be able to work out who that means I work for!)and that panned out OK....not ideal, but OK.... so I'm debating whether to 'train' myself to use the AW right-handed -or simply use it cack-handed!

Derek -how do you find the AW as a stalking rifle? Too heavy or endurable?
(the AWP is the 24" heavy barrel version of the AW. AI claim 10mm at 100m for the AWP -that's significantly less than 0.5MOA
smile.gif
-hope I maintain that smile if/when I get it!)I'm quite familiar with the L96 and it's 'easy shooting' accuracy; much of that 'easy shooting' is a product of it's sheer weight!

Maybe I'll just use the 300 in the Highlands and reserve the AW for lowland!?

[ 05-11-2004: Message edited by: Brown Dog ]

brown dog

i have the AE version, i am not sure what the difference is between that and the AWP....

mine has a 24" barrel and is very heavy. i ordered a biathlon sling when i bought it (over both shoulders thing) so the weight of it is un-noticeable really.

i stalk with it now and again, but normally use it when i am planning to sit and watch and take any long-range opportunities that comes my way.

it will shoot sub .25 moa off the bench no problems at all. i put a leupold 8.5 - 25 tactical on top of it and they are a good combination.

for hunting i am using 43grains of varget behind a molyied 150grain sst. this round put everything in the v-bull last night at 400m....

i have shot deer out to 350m this season with it, and am planning to go beyond 500m before the summer.

in short, i think it is a fantastic shooting stick and i don't think you'll be dissapointed.

any questions, just email me [email protected]

derek

Derek,

Thanks. 0.25MOA is pretty impressive! Fingers crossed....

A biathlon sling is an excellent idea. Is yours an AI product? If not, would you be able to point me in the right direction?

the biathlon sling is an AI one. can't remember what it cost but it is very comfy.

let me know how you get on with it and what loads are working for you.

derek

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts