AI mag use: using 338 lapua for wildcat build

midnightmalloy

I was informed by hooper ordinance (where Im getting my bottom metal from) that his bottom metal accepts both AI 300 wim mag magazines and 338 lapua mags. My question is that I am building a 7/375 ruger and want to use the new 195 bergers. the case overall length could be as long as 3.77 which is too long for the 300 win mag magazines. I can use a 338 lapua magazine but have no clue how that will affect the feeding or any other problems. I understand I will probably need to modify the feed lips but other than that what are the problems in doing this? a 338 lapua mag is 3.885 inside COAL so this will give me room but I want it to feed with no problems from the mag.

what say you with the knowlegde? has anyone tried this on other cartriges? I have done multiple google searches with no real luck.

thanks in advance.

I am using the AI lapua mag for my 338 rem mag had the lips adjusted, feeds great plenty of length. Minor adjustment what you will have to do.

I am using the AI lapua mag for my 338 rem mag had the lips adjusted, feeds great plenty of length. Minor adjustment what you will have to do.

338 wim mag or 338 RUM? ive never heard of a 338 rem mag unless its a 8mm rem mag necked up to 338? Let me know. Thanks

Its a 338 remington ultra mag , shorter than the 375,300 and 7ultra mags it has more energy than the338win mag and shoots the 300smks at 2800fps. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
The standard AI mags are identical in length for teh 300WM and the 338LM magazines. The only difference that I can tell (I have and use both) between the two are the length of the feed lips.

Some manufacturers do make a "CIP" length magazine, and that gives you a slight bit more useful length, 3.750" versus 3.650." I do not know that standard AI magazine bottom metal can use the CIP magazines.

Accurate Magazine makes one that goes 3.850", but I'm thinking that is an external dimension, so I do not know what it gives you from maximum interal length:

Accurate-Mag.com

Jeffvn

The standard AI mags are identical in length for teh 300WM and the 338LM magazines. The only difference that I can tell (I have and use both) between the two are the length of the feed lips.

Some manufacturers do make a "CIP" length magazine, and that gives you a slight bit more useful length, 3.750" versus 3.650." I do not know that standard AI magazine bottom metal can use the CIP magazines.

Accurate Magazine makes one that goes 3.850", but I'm thinking that is an external dimension, so I do not know what it gives you from maximum interal length:

Accurate-Mag.com

Jeffvn
I have the accurate mag in the 3.85" the inside is around 3.76". Basically the same as CIP mags.

My ai mag says 338 LM (3.850) but my hsm 300gr berger otm loads are at 3.760 coal and just barely fit so id say 3.760 max. You can load 3.850 if you plan on using a single shot?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.