AI AICS AX Stock for Hunting?

mmh

I am thinking about getting an AI AICS AX stock to replace the stock of a 300 WM Remington 700 Long Range (84164). I know that this will be heavy (guessing at 12.5 lbs. w/o scope), but do like heavy rifles - my current hunting gun is a .308 Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ a Manners T6A stock (DBM & mini-chassis) which w/o a scope weighs 10 lbs.

I am thinking that w/ the folding stock & flush cups that this rifle should carry well in spite of its weight. This type of stock would be a little untraditional for a hunting gun, but, any real reasons why it would not be a good LR hunting rig?

None that I can think of, my cousin has that chassis for his 338 Lapua. He doesn't use it for hunting since it weighs over 20lbs. Part of the reason he bought it was for the folding stock making it easier to store in a safe,case or pack.

It maybe untraditional looking but it offeres a lot of great features that will serve you well while hunting.

Had that exact rifle. The stock alone weighs about 5.5 lbs. just couldn't get used to it. If strapping it to a pack was in the plan, I think that would be better with the collapsable stock.

Sold it and put an HTG on it. Now it weighs about 12.5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 574
Had that exact rifle. The stock alone weighs about 5.5 lbs. just couldn't get used to it. If strapping it to a pack was in the plan, I think that would be better with the collapsable stock.

Sold it and put an HTG on it. Now it weighs about 12.5.
I don't know if I would like the stock or not either. I suppose that there is only one way to find out. I have handled many a gun at a shop only later not to like it after living w/ it out at the range & field.

As far as the weight, most 'decent' stocks will weigh 3 lbs. or 4 lbs. My Manners T6A is at 4 (but it is a mini chassis, adjustable cheek, DBM). So, the difference is two pounds. Put in a a barreled action w/ a heavy contour barrel, big scope & bipod, the difference is still two pounds - 14 lbs. vs. 12 lbs. I know their are some manufacturers that make very light hunting rigs that are at 7 lbs. and below (w/o scope). These use carbon barrels, stocks, etc. I am not ready to go there yet.

Eventually I will go on a hunting trip where I will regret carrying the extra weight. But, right now I know that I can shoot a heavy rifle better than a light one.

mmh,

I can suggest that you evaluate your hunting terrain and style of hunting before committing to any change in stocks. Rough terrain, high altitude, heavily forested, can all contribute to uncomfortable hiking and hunting without planning on your ability to carry any rifle conveniently.

Most of my hunting takes place in fairly rough but open desert terrain. I vary this by hunting up in the higher altitudes in pine forests and long meadows. Both of these allow for spot shooting, choosing a place to watch the meadow or a grazing area. Usually I am on a bipod and comfortable shooting prone. However I have used logs, rocks, stumps and hillocks to provide a better position for sitting, kneeling or crouching.

The AIAX weighs about 5.6 lbs. per their advertising specs. The AX 2014 is the same I think. I used the AX 2014 and the KeySlot forearm last year with a barreled action chambered for the .300 Norma Mag. It worked nicely for me on the two hunts I got drawn for.

This year I switched to an XLR Element chassis with the Tac-Lite stock using a rifle chambered for the 6.5 SAUM. This assembly was lighter and more compact than the AX 2014 but the cartridge is substantially reduced in recoil. I was hiking, still hunting more this year hence the lighter rifle.

Currently I'm building a 6.5 WSM on a Defiance action using a 28" barrel but in the APO folding rifle stock with their carbon fiber forearm. The ergonomics of this chassis suit me better than any of the other chassis I've tried. Yes it's heavier but the fit is superb for me.

I also have a Manners TF1-A Tactical Folder adjustable with the Mini-Chassis which I use for competition. It's very comfortable to carry folded and to shoot.

Enjoy the search.

Thanks for your well though out reply. I have thought thru all the arguments you present. Unfortunately, I won't know the answers to these questions until I take the stock on a hunt. I enjoy shooting as much as hunting and will MANY rounds downrange in preparation for the hunt. With that in mind, I have always wanted a chassis stock such as an AI. Conversely, and as my son reminds me, we both LOVE the Manners T6A stock, so, why change what works?

mmh,

I can suggest that you evaluate your hunting terrain and style of hunting before committing to any change in stocks. Rough terrain, high altitude, heavily forested, can all contribute to uncomfortable hiking and hunting without planning on your ability to carry any rifle conveniently.

Most of my hunting takes place in fairly rough but open desert terrain. I vary this by hunting up in the higher altitudes in pine forests and long meadows. Both of these allow for spot shooting, choosing a place to watch the meadow or a grazing area. Usually I am on a bipod and comfortable shooting prone. However I have used logs, rocks, stumps and hillocks to provide a better position for sitting, kneeling or crouching.

The AIAX weighs about 5.6 lbs. per their advertising specs. The AX 2014 is the same I think. I used the AX 2014 and the KeySlot forearm last year with a barreled action chambered for the .300 Norma Mag. It worked nicely for me on the two hunts I got drawn for.

This year I switched to an XLR Element chassis with the Tac-Lite stock using a rifle chambered for the 6.5 SAUM. This assembly was lighter and more compact than the AX 2014 but the cartridge is substantially reduced in recoil. I was hiking, still hunting more this year hence the lighter rifle.

Currently I'm building a 6.5 WSM on a Defiance action using a 28" barrel but in the APO folding rifle stock with their carbon fiber forearm. The ergonomics of this chassis suit me better than any of the other chassis I've tried. Yes it's heavier but the fit is superb for me.

I also have a Manners TF1-A Tactical Folder adjustable with the Mini-Chassis which I use for competition. It's very comfortable to carry folded and to shoot.

Enjoy the search.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts