Age this guy.

Teeth aging doesn't work great unless you can get a cross section and count the annular cementum rings.

Bottom line is if you want big deer you have to let them grow........Even the "cull" bucks will often turn out pretty nice if you let them reach maturity. We have found that shooting "cull" bucks before reaching maturity does not the reduce the number of these bucks you will see the next year. We now only shoot bucks that must be a minimum of 5 1/2 and it has made a huge difference.

Five years ago we took over a place in the Texas Hill Country that's not really known for huge deer. The place had been shot out and most of the bucks we did see were 2 1/2 with the occasional rare 3 year old. I was appointed "wildlife manager" of the group (6 of us on 2500 acres) and decided we were only going to shoot does the first 4 years. It was hard to do and ****ed some members off but they are sure glad now that we stuck with that plan. Last year the biggest buck we took off the place grossed just under 170".......and I think he was a 4 year old deer 😣

View attachment 381239
Yep, trying to cull free ranging deer is a waste of time. Only thing you may be able to do take an old bully off your land to make room for a young stud with more potential. You can't manage the genetics.

Wild guess, good 2 yr old or averagish 3 . Like others have said, teeth tell the tale for the most part. Here in Central ga , we got deer imported from the coast, Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Texas years ago. Its a crap shoot to age on looks . I've seen 5 yr olds verified that look like 2 yr olds. I've seen bucks that had huge bodies and decent racks age at 2.5 . The brisket and back sway/pot belly are good indicators of maturity , but just to deferentiate between immature and grown deer .

This guy was estimated to be 3-1/2 9pointer.
NE Canada. 100lbs in the fridge not including ribs.

Attachments

• 7E7CD1DC-57FF-4E5D-82E1-0BA515A84063.jpeg
    7E7CD1DC-57FF-4E5D-82E1-0BA515A84063.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 51
My avatar is a big old "jaws" that was captured on my trail cam last fall. He's a biggy that's likely a 4-1/2. I've seen a big ole WTD taken down 3 Seasons ago that the guys thought he was around 10-1/2 to 12-1/2. Biggest dear I've ever seen was also last fall while bringing my FIL lunch to his road build site. Was an ole non typical that had to many points to count. He came out of the heave bush. Looked at us as if to say "this is no place for a road" and then sauntered back into the woods. We stared in disbelief.

2 yrs not much of a belly, small brisket, straight back. They are correct best way of aging is by the teeth, but if you are trying judge on the hoof then it takes time. If you are happy with the deer it is a trophy