Trying to guess the age

hesse

So I have two deer that I'm trying to figure out which one is the one I should harvest
. It's really hard trying to judge these deer where we're at they were missing calcium and phosphorus in their diet really bad and the deer herd we started supplementing it last year seen some improvement really put a lot of it out this year they've gone through over 400 lb of minerals since March and these bucks that we're seeing are way bigger than anything we've seen so we're just trying to age classes dear to shoot the right ones. This I believe is a two and a half year old Buck right here the Big Time photos there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-123008.png
    Screenshot_20230819-123008.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_20230819-123030.png
    Screenshot_20230819-123030.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Screenshot_20230819-123036.png
    Screenshot_20230819-123036.png
    419.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_20230819-123339.png
    Screenshot_20230819-123339.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Screenshot_20230819-123601.png
    Screenshot_20230819-123601.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Screenshot_20230820-112148.png
    Screenshot_20230820-112148.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20230820-112131.png
    Screenshot_20230820-112131.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
So I have two deer that I'm trying to figure out which one is the one I should harvest
. It's really hard trying to judge these deer where we're at they were missing calcium and phosphorus in their diet really bad and the deer herd we started supplementing it last year seen some improvement really put a lot of it out this year they've gone through over 400 lb of minerals since March and these bucks that we're seeing are way bigger than anything we've seen so we're just trying to age classes dear to shoot the right ones
My swag (scientific wild *** guess) would be three or four years old.

Deer look completely different depending on genetics, where they live and what they eat. Impossible for me to age these deer not having any idea about the local genetics and food source.
If those deer were here at my home area, I would say 2.5 years old, maybe 3.5. But the pictures don't really give enough information either.

Deer look completely different depending on genetics, where they live and what they eat. Impossible for me to age these deer not having any idea about the local genetics and food source.
If those deer were here at my home area, I would say 2.5 years old, maybe 3.5. But the pictures don't really give enough information either.
This.........

Plus this early their necks aren't muscled up which makes it even harder.

. It's really hard trying to judge these deer where we're at they were missing calcium and phosphorus in their diet really bad and the deer herd we started supplementing it last year seen some improvement really put a lot of it out this year they've gone through over 400 lb of minerals since March and these bucks that we're seeing are way bigger than anything we've seen so we're just trying to age classes dear to shoot the right ones
My guess is 4.5 and 3.5. Head gear is not a good indication of age but body size usually doesn't lie.
I've changed my philosophy lately and shoot the biggest body buck that meets the antler restrictions in my area.
Antler restrictions work but I have seen many large body 6 points and last year a very big spike that are illegal.
I shot this one a few years ago because it was bigger body wise than a larger racked buck that was with it.

Attachments

• F4D51BED-2E91-4A92-80F9-591E103A5B60.jpeg
    F4D51BED-2E91-4A92-80F9-591E103A5B60.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 82
I completely agree with differences in regions and nutrition available. I haven't been fortunate to hunt crop lands in the north or Midwest. They have some monster body size deer there. I have hunted Tennessee, Kentucky and Texas for whitetail. Texas deer are typically smaller body size, however, I harvested a south Texas buck that field dressed at 165 lbs. The rack was nothing to write home about (typical 8 pt), but it benefited from a year round corn baiting program. It was 4.5 years old.

Just curious, do you have a large amount of property you are managing or are you mostly hunting on or surrounded by public land? I just ask because it sounds like you're feeding supplements so have the ability to manage the herd somewhat and if so, are you considering antler growth and genetics, not just age in your decision?
I've been part of game management planning and while age was a factor, we did take a bunch of cull bucks to allow the more genetically superior bucks to have more opportunities to breed and pass on their genes. Some of the bucks were older and, on the decline, but others were young with deformed antlers or other physical issues that would impact their potential.
As for the bucks in the pictures, it does appear on is a year older than the other, but without seeing good comparison photos with the deer as close to standing side by side, or maybe by the same tree to determine size difference it's tough. The one with the taller typical 8 rack looks to be the older one with the other likely to be a nice 10 next year.

In velvet there are things you don't see that you will once it's shed.Younger deer usually have smoother antlers and lack mass.As they get older,their antlers generally get rougher and will show roughness even between their G-2's and G-3's.Another thing to look for is body length.1.5-2.5yr olds have short bodies,much like a doe.Once they reach 3.5yrs old,their bodies get longer.A 3.5yr old will have body length,just a little light in weight.Once they hit 4.5yrs old,they not only put on more weight,but you will also see an increase in antler mass as well as a noticeable roughness from the base of the antlers to between the H-1 and G-1's.Once they hit 5.5yrs old,they seem to make another jump in body length and weight.They really start looking really big compared to most of the deer you see on a regular hunting day.He looks like a fighter in his best shape of his life.Post 5.5yrs old,they start looking like a little overweight deer.They sometimes may also drop off in weight at times too.Probably has a lot to do with tooth loss when they get older.Another thing to look at is their head size.A younger buck has a smaller head,kinda doe size.As the get older,the head gets bigger and the bone mass of the skull gets much thicker and denser.Since you are supplementing their diet,if they are getting enough to make a difference,as the years go by,you should notice your younger bucks will have better antlers and bodies at the same age than the bucks that where older did when your supplementing started.
4.5yr old antlers top two pictures.Bottom two pictures are 3.5yr old
4.5 antler.jpg
4.5 antler 2.jpg

3.5 antler.jpg
3.5 antler 2.jpg

Last edited:
To give a little background. This property is a half hour north of Morgantown WV in Pennsylvania it is a friend of mine that we are aloud to hunt he has 125 acres but the neighbor has 450 plus another 300that nobody has permission to hunt but 4 people. This is my 4th year hunting it. The bucks never had any mass to them . There is a lot of deer over 150 at least ina mile and a half square it is probably closer to double that this is rolling hills with small amounts of ag ground mixed in last year year we planted 7 acres of corn there was about 25 of hay and 25 of pasture that is used for livestock the other property is old homestead with pasture and wood pockets and the creek runs through. the old pasture is mowed once a year so in figured out that the deer where Miss calcium and phosphorus bad so I started mixing my own minerals Way better than store bought in my opinion. It helped last year so this year we have put out over 400lbs. I am figuring that they are probably 4years old

I'd tell you that the bucks are about 3 yrs old. They have a little belly to them along with a small brisket. But their backs are straight. A 4 yrs old typically will have a little bit of a sway back. If you are feeding the deer you may want to think about during the off season add some ivermectin to the food, it will get rid of parasites (ticks and worms are the biggest ones) and allow the deer to get more of the nutrients. If you use the ivermectin stop using it about 30 days prior to season, this will allow the meds to flush out of their system. I was told about the ivermectin from a deer breeder here in Florida that had a 200" 2year old

In velvet there are things you don't see that you will once it's shed.Younger deer usually have smoother antlers and lack mass.As they get older,their antlers generally get rougher and will show roughness even between their G-2's and G-3's.Another thing to look for is body length.1.5-2.5yr olds have short bodies,much like a doe.Once they reach 3.5yrs old,their bodies get longer.A 3.5yr old will have body length,just a little light in weight.Once they hit 4.5yrs old,they not only put on more weight,but you will also see an increase in antler mass as well as a noticeable roughness from the base of the antlers to between the H-1 and G-1's.Once they hit 5.5yrs old,they seem to make another jump in body length and weight.They really start looking really big compared to most of the deer you see on a regular hunting day.He looks like a fighter in his best shape of his life.Post 5.5yrs old,they start looking like a little overweight deer.They sometimes may also drop off in weight at times too.Probably has a lot to do with tooth loss when they get older.Another thing to look at is their head size.A younger buck has a smaller head,kinda doe size.As the get older,the head gets bigger and the bone mass of the skull gets much thicker and denser.Since you are supplementing their diet,if they are getting enough to make a difference,as the years go by,you should notice your younger bucks will have better antlers and bodies at the same age than the bucks that where older did when your supplementing started.
4.5yr old antlers top two pictures.Bottom two pictures are 3.5yr oldView attachment 487208View attachment 487209
View attachment 487206View attachment 487207
Here are two 7.5yr old.One was taken on a very dry year.
7.5 antler.jpg
7.5 antler 2.jpg
7.5 antler 3..jpg