aftermarket stock for Rem 700 BDL DMB 7STW?

StarvinPilgrim

Hello 7STW Brotherhood,

I'm looking to give my 1999 STW a new stock but I'm having trouble finding out if there's anything out there. I realize most of you guys are shooting custom builds but I'm hoping one or two of you have come across this model before. I bought it in January of 2000 and hunted with it since then. I've recently had the chance to do some "long" range shooting (600y-it's long to me) and now that I'm slightly bitten by the bug I'd like to start updated my rifle some. I'd really like to replace the factory synthetic stock with a Bell & Carlson M40 or something similar. My only problem so far is I'm questioning the Detachable magazine.

By chance do any of you know what my options are here? I've included a couple pictures to better express what I'm dealing with.

Thank you,
Jeremy

image_zpstapnaoy0.jpeg

image_zpskrr2940l.jpeg

image_zpsiqhicgi4.jpeg

I don't know of any aftermarket stocks out there that will accommodate your current magazine assembly.

Maybe there is a smith out there that would be willing to do the custom work involved with making it work in the stock that you want. From the looks of it getting it to work wouldn't be that hard. But it probably wouldn't look too pretty when they cut enough relief out of it for your magazine release button.

Your other options would be to buy the stock you want and get a new hinged floorplate style bottom metal, buy the stock you want and have it inletted for an aftermarket DBM (wyatts, CDI, etc), or just get a good gunsmith to pillar bed the stock you have.

If there is one person who might be able to help you the most it's Don @Stocky's Stocks. He's been a nice guy the times I've dealt with him and has a ton of knowledge.

Come to think of it, Joel Russo is probably another good one to talk to. He makes nice wood stocks.

If it were me I'd get a Grey Bull Precision, have it bedded, have it inletted for wyatts or CDI bottom metal and rock on.

Good luck going forward.

First, Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't mind if I had to lose the detachable magazine. I hadn't considered that. I like that idea better than having the stock chopped up to fit the mag.

I'll email Don @ Stocky's to see if he has any good options.

I'd rather have a composite stock over wood, that GreyBull Precision stock does look like a nice one. I'll check into that as well.

Thank you

Your photos look like a stock Rem DM LA. I changed out my 280Rem, DM Mtn Rifle with a McMillan Hunters Edge lightweight DM. Perfect swap. Check them out. I'm sure they could accommodate you.

My Pops has the same rifle in 7mmstw. It shoots well with the factory stock; you may think about floating the barrel and installing pillar bedding though.

here is a rather inexpensive option from Boyds for you if laminate turns your crank...

Find a Stock

From what I understand, the detachable mag rifles have a different or no/little feed rail... you are likely stuck with a form of magazine with your rifle. Good thing is, you don't really need more than the 3.6" or so that the mag gives you to do well with a 7stw. You just have to be aware of a bit of bullet jump when developing loads.

By the way, I have the Boyds stock I pointed you to on my custom rem lh 7mmstw. It is a good stock... Fits well and looks good. I didn't even bed the rifle action... I just chewed the barrel channel out enough to allow the #5 Shilen to slip in with a bit of felt under the forward inch of the barrel. She shoots 1/4 to 1/2 moa with decent loads.

Well I've decided to just keep my Factory stock and maybe do some work on it. I searched & searched and can't find just exactly what I want for this model so I figure I'll keep that money and put it towards some finer glass.

I did however add a Timney trigger to it and I got back out to the new range I had been talking about and finally got to shoot a group at long (to me) range. I will say that I'm pretty happy with this as a factory rifle.

Winds were right to left up to 15 mph Load was 82 gr of 869 with 175 gr Sierra Game kings

I think I'm going to consider 5.5" @ 500y 1 moa :D

image_zps4sunumud.jpeg

image_zpsfgfay3nx.jpeg

I realize that you guys are probably doing much much better than that with your rifles but I'm pretty happy with this being a factory rifle with thin barrel profile and my very limited long range experience.

Hello 7STW Brotherhood,

I'm looking to give my 1999 STW a new stock but I'm having trouble finding out if there's anything out there. I realize most of you guys are shooting custom builds but I'm hoping one or two of you have come across this model before. I bought it in January of 2000 and hunted with it since then. I've recently had the chance to do some "long" range shooting (600y-it's long to me) and now that I'm slightly bitten by the bug I'd like to start updated my rifle some. I'd really like to replace the factory synthetic stock with a Bell & Carlson M40 or something similar. My only problem so far is I'm questioning the Detachable magazine.

By chance do any of you know what my options are here? I've included a couple pictures to better express what I'm dealing with.

Thank you,
Jeremy

image_zpstapnaoy0.jpeg

image_zpskrr2940l.jpeg

image_zpsiqhicgi4.jpeg

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/i...gton/pro-series-sporter-remington/pss071.html

Yes, I saw that and I agree the brake would be a hassle in the woods I actually dug my brake out for some target shooting a few weeks ago and put it back on. It helped a little with recoil but then my dad wanted to shoot the 500 yd target with it.......He forgot to put his ear protection on for that one shot. That thing is murder on the ears.

I did get to go up to Northern MO last week for a doe hunt. I bagged one doe at 400 with the STW but didn't get any pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts