Affordable optics that track?

Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50. I have 3 and all track flawlessly. I have tested it shooting out to 1k in various increments and then back in to 100 in increments out and in. It has always been dead on.

I have been obsessed with "affordable scopes that track" for as long as I have been into long range shooting. I've come across several that do as advertised and I've tried pretty much everything that claims to
Be good at tracking while maintaining affordability. Here is the list of scopes in order of price.
1. Bushnell Elite tactical fixed 10x42 this scope can be had for roughly $150 on the used market. I've used several and all tracked and held zero perfectly. It is a no frills scope with a simple mildot reticle and moa turrets. That is not popular anymore but for $150 there is only one scope that is trustworthy
2. SWFA fixed 6x and 10x scopes these can be had for roughly $250 on the used market. These scopes do everything the Bushnell does but have two added features. (1) the main tube is 30mm instead of 1" adding a little more elevation and light. (2) the reticles match up with the turrets moa or mills I think these are worth the extra $100. They also offer a model with adjustable parallax but those are not as easy to find used and are $500ish new which I don't think is worth it for that one feature.
3. Arken EP series scopes these are pretty much all the features you want in a big heavy tactical scope for the price of a Leupold vx freedom. I have a ep4 4-16 that I bought used with a mount for $275. It seems like a "too good to be true" deal. I haven't been able to shoot with it yet so I'm still not able to give a true answer on how it tracks. The reticle has a lot to offer though. The first thing I noticed is the scope is huge I would never put one on a hunting rifle. It is the same size as my Bushnell DHMR which is such a giant chunk. This scope has been blasted for having a fatal flaw in the glass because of chromatic aberration. I didn't know what that even meant until I tried to focus my target to see bullet holes. I was impossible to focus and get a clear image in the bright sunny day. Does this affect your shooting at steel plates or animals? I don't know yet but it isn't a great thing to have to deal with. The image seems big and bright but when you are really trying hard to focus it's frustrating.
4. Sightron s-tac these scopes are very impressive for the price. I've bought them new for $300 on sale and used for $275. They have a great 4-20 range, 30 mm tube with reasonably sized turrets (similar to most other scopes like the pst, nsx, ZEISS v4, Leupold vx3 6.4-20 etc. The reticle matches up with the turrets and is not busy, it could have more markings on the horizontal stadia for 1 and 1/2 moa but it's cheap so… I've shot this scope in adverse conditions and had no problems. It tracks and returns to zero. The two compromises it has in my book are that the parallax knob is way too stiff! It's so hard to turn I don't understand why? Second the glass is noticeably darker than scopes of higher price point. The siii has way better glass as does the Leupold vx3 6.6-20, and others of the just below $1,000 price. But you can almost buy 4 of these for $1000 so a little bit less light is a compromise I am willing to make for that big of savings. I own more s-tac scopes than any other budget optic and I won't pass one up if it shows up used for less than $300.

I have helped a few guys try and get the sightron S-tacs to hold zero and track. Some worked and a few did not. Just throwing it out there that the S-tac is not on the same level as the SIII non tactical.

I have been obsessed with "affordable scopes that track" for as long as I have been into long range shooting. I've come across several that do as advertised and I've tried pretty much everything that claims to
Be good at tracking while maintaining affordability. Here is the list of scopes in order of price.
1. Bushnell Elite tactical fixed 10x42 this scope can be had for roughly $150 on the used market. I've used several and all tracked and held zero perfectly. It is a no frills scope with a simple mildot reticle and moa turrets. That is not popular anymore but for $150 there is only one scope that is trustworthy
2. SWFA fixed 6x and 10x scopes these can be had for roughly $250 on the used market. These scopes do everything the Bushnell does but have two added features. (1) the main tube is 30mm instead of 1" adding a little more elevation and light. (2) the reticles match up with the turrets moa or mills I think these are worth the extra $100. They also offer a model with adjustable parallax but those are not as easy to find used and are $500ish new which I don't think is worth it for that one feature.
3. Arken EP series scopes these are pretty much all the features you want in a big heavy tactical scope for the price of a Leupold vx freedom. I have a ep4 4-16 that I bought used with a mount for $275. It seems like a "too good to be true" deal. I haven't been able to shoot with it yet so I'm still not able to give a true answer on how it tracks. The reticle has a lot to offer though. The first thing I noticed is the scope is huge I would never put one on a hunting rifle. It is the same size as my Bushnell DHMR which is such a giant chunk. This scope has been blasted for having a fatal flaw in the glass because of chromatic aberration. I didn't know what that even meant until I tried to focus my target to see bullet holes. I was impossible to focus and get a clear image in the bright sunny day. Does this affect your shooting at steel plates or animals? I don't know yet but it isn't a great thing to have to deal with. The image seems big and bright but when you are really trying hard to focus it's frustrating.
4. Sightron s-tac these scopes are very impressive for the price. I've bought them new for $300 on sale and used for $275. They have a great 4-20 range, 30 mm tube with reasonably sized turrets (similar to most other scopes like the pst, nsx, ZEISS v4, Leupold vx3 6.4-20 etc. The reticle matches up with the turrets and is not busy, it could have more markings on the horizontal stadia for 1 and 1/2 moa but it's cheap so… I've shot this scope in adverse conditions and had no problems. It tracks and returns to zero. The two compromises it has in my book are that the parallax knob is way too stiff! It's so hard to turn I don't understand why? Second the glass is noticeably darker than scopes of higher price point. The siii has way better glass as does the Leupold vx3 6.6-20, and others of the just below $1,000 price. But you can almost buy 4 of these for $1000 so a little bit less light is a compromise I am willing to make for that big of savings. I own more s-tac scopes than any other budget optic and I won't pass one up if it shows up used for less than $300.
I forgot about the Bushie 10x. They are tough as nails.

I'll just add a correction on your SWFA section: all of their fixed scopes offer parallax correction. It's located where the power ring would be on a variable scope. This is a great boon for lefties. The model you referenced for $500 or with side parallax is an HD version.

Just the other day several more SWFA 6X showed up here. They had been on back order. I bought them on a sale for less than $225, IIRC. I've ran a lot of different scopes through the years and I've helped others set up a lot more, and there is absolutely nothing that comes close to them for the money.

I wouldn't feel just too slighted if I was constrained by horrible circumstances to use only a 6x for all of my hunting. Lot of folks think they need a gigantic X scope to hit over 400 yds, but they owe it to themselves to see just how capable they can be with a 6x.

Get the SHV from Nightforce then if you love your NXS. Good Glass and tracks perfect like the NXS, just cheaper. Don't degrade yourself by getting anything Vortex. Vortex warranty is mentioned all the time because you will most likely need it If you use your scope. Another option I haven't had issues with is the Sightron SIII. Tracks well but glass isn't great. Don't rule out any used Nightforce options either. Half of mine where purchased used for a good price.
I agree with you whole heartedly. At the very least go with the higher end Leupolds or XTR Burris series. Their warranties are just as good if not better than vortex

Thanks for the input fellas. As far as budget there isn't one yet. I am just getting a feel for what's out there. Glass is always such a subjective topic and I more interested in the durability side right now. The glass or view ,however you want to call it, can come after the durability boxes get checked. Other than the nxs everything else is old nikon Buckmaster and monarchs in my safe. Which serve their own purpose but I'm going to need more.

I bought a new Leupold VX5HD firedot this past year for around $930 I plan to put on my 30-06. Don't really plan to shoot beyond 500 yards with it, so hoping it tracks well for that. Seems to be some mixed reviews. Nicest scope I have bought.

I'll just add a correction on your SWFA section: all of their fixed scopes offer parallax correction. It's located where the power ring would be on a variable scope. This is a great boon for lefties. The model you referenced for $500 or with side parallax is an HD version.

Just the other day several more SWFA 6X showed up here. They had been on back order. I bought them on a sale for less than $225, IIRC. I've ran a lot of different scopes through the years and I've helped others set up a lot more, and there is absolutely nothing that comes close to them for the money.

I wouldn't feel just too slighted if I was constrained by horrible circumstances to use only a 6x for all of my hunting. Lot of folks think they need a gigantic X scope to hit over 400 yds, but they owe it to themselves to see just how capable they can be with a 6x.
Yes. The 6x swfa is a ton of scope for the money. Also to add I just got the 3x9 x40 SWFA HD. Same great mil quad reticle. Their mil quad is one of the best out there for being functional for hunting especially on low power. They also have a 3-15, 5-20 and lots of different fixed powers.

Last edited:
How cheap do you want to go?
I have a friend that has a scope on his favorite rifle that has survived falls from a tall tree hitting at least 3 branches on the way down not just once but twice,same tree/stand.The scope is a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50.It also accidentally rode to his hunting lease in the back of his pickup bed (his son put the rifle in the truck) and it still works great.
I am impressed by my Arken scope.It's a little heavy but it tracks perfectly.Just a couple of idea's.
Arken👍

Just the other day several more 6X showed up here. They had been on back order. I bought them on a sale for less than $225, IIRC. I've ran a lot of different scopes through the years and I've helped others set up a lot more, and there is absolutely nothing that comes close to them for the money.

Yes. The 6x swfa is a ton of scope for the money. Also to add I just got the 3x9 x40 SWFA HD. Same great mil quad reticle. Their mil quad is one of the best out there for being functional for hunting especially on low power. They also have a 3-15, 5-20 and lots of different fixed powers.
I'm working with a 3-9 on a long range ML right now. I've had the 3-9 on other rigs as well. Great scopes. I've always thought the glass on the HD models hits way above their price point.

In addition to the 6x's and 3-9's, I have 1-6's and 3-15's as well. Very happy with all of them. I like the NF's I have and have used as well, but I tend to like the MQ reticle better than just about anything else for hunting.

Check out Meopta they are fairly inexpensive and they're glass is the same as Ziess, close to Kahles, I believe they may even make some of Ziess scopes. they don't sell to wholesalers so they can keep the prices reasonable. Do some searches!

Recent Posts