Which scopes track accurately?

NoCuntryForOldMen

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on scopes as I look to buy my first real nice piece of glass and as I started researching the Leupold VX 6HD I read about issues with Leupold scopes not tracking accurately or returning to zero properly. Since I don't want to spend thousands on a scope and have to worry if turning the turrets does what I think it should I read up more on this and it seems like a lot of scopes don't always track accurately.

Nightforce seems to have a great reputation in this regard but I'd like to expand my options as a lot of those scopes are on the heavier side. If it comes down to it I'd rather lug around some extra weight and have something I can 100% depend on but is accurate tracking really such a unicorn? Take price, weight, etc out of the equation, what scopes would you be willing to say will track accurately and return to zero properly?

pix312196195.jpg Well I sure am hoping that Nightforce tracks good! I just bought a ATACR C545 at
a really good price. I mailed the check today..I refuse to pay the extra 3% to use a card!..I can only keep my fingers crossed!

I have 2 Vortex PSTs and a Sightron III that track very accurately. The scopes have some twisting time on them too. So I don't think Night force is the only scope that will do this. But I am sure in a durability test, the Night force would come out on top.
They is so much biased crap on the net about Leupold. If I needed a lightweight hunting scope that dialed with excellent glass, I would not be afraid to try the Lepould. Trying and experiencing for yourself is the only way you will ever know.

I do a lot of dialing for both competition and hunting. While big and heavy, my Nightforce and S&B, are well proven for competition. For lighter weight and more compact size in a hunting scope, turret accuracy has been excellent with my March 2.5x25x52, and, two Huskemaw 5x20x50's( 8 seasons of heavy use).

I bought my first nightforce last year 2nd in March and will get another. I have a 4-14shv and a 2.5-10 nsx both with the moar illuminated reticle. The 4-14 is on a 243ai now and the 2.5-10 is on a 270.

A LR shooting class I called about won't let Husk. scopes in their class, say they won't hold true to get through the course. I have a cheapo Weaver Kaspa Tactical on my rig right now and it performs well out to the 700 yards for the calibers capability of a clean harvest. Just my opinion. I got lots to learn and will be whatching this thread.

If by tracking, you mean click accuracy, I know Leupold Mk4s are accurate.
For instance, every SFP 8.5x25 MK4 I've had so far actually tests at 1.047 IPHY for every moa dialed.

I think repeatable and accurate are different classifications of tracking measurements. I recently did a tall target test for the first time and found out that my scope was tracking at 1.05 moa per every moa turned on the turret. That means it was repeatable and returned to zero fine but the actual reticle movement was 5 percent more than expected. This amounts to a big problem at long distance if you are not aware of it. However, it doesn't have to be a problem at all because most ballistic software allows for scope corrections. All you have to do is shoot a tall target test and figure the difference in actual versus expected tracking and enter the value in the ballistic calculator and it will give you the correct number to dial. Brian litz has a video on YouTube describing the process and calculations necessary to get accurate results from the test. In his video he says that Nightforce scopes have always been right on the money which is comforting. Every high end scope I have owned has had repeatable tracking and held zero but not all have had accurate tracking. It is safe to say I will be doing a tall target test on every scope from now on.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on scopes as I look to buy my first real nice piece of glass and as I started researching the Leupold VX 6HD I read about issues with Leupold scopes not tracking accurately or returning to zero properly. Since I don't want to spend thousands on a scope and have to worry if turning the turrets does what I think it should I read up more on this and it seems like a lot of scopes don't always track accurately.

Nightforce seems to have a great reputation in this regard but I'd like to expand my options as a lot of those scopes are on the heavier side. If it comes down to it I'd rather lug around some extra weight and have something I can 100% depend on but is accurate tracking really such a unicorn? Take price, weight, etc out of the equation, what scopes would you be willing to say will track accurately and return to zero properly?

I have found SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and LRTS, and the Nightforce SHV F1 to hold zero, track accurately and return to zero reliably. There are many others that have a good reputation for doing the same.

John

Ok how about a little more information, what's your budget and what's the use? Just so you know on the vx6hd the turret only goes up two revolutions. I think it's 20 or 19 moa per revolution which will get you a ways out there, but you can't use all 75 moa in the scope once you turret is set and zeroed.

All of the major brands, will track. If it doesn't, send it back.
My experience with Burris, Bushnell elites, vortex, swfa, Nightforce and Weaver. All of them are repeatable, some has enough error in the measurement that it needs to be accounted for, but like was posted, it's not a problem if you know about it.
It sucks to have to send a scope for warranty repair, but all of these brands want their scopes to track, and they will fix any that don't.
My favorites in the 1000-1500$ price range are,
Bushy elites tacticals,
Burris XTR2s,
Weaver tacticals,
Nightforce SHV
All in that order if I have to choose.
They are all heavy scopes though.
I haven't gone above the 1500$ mark yet. But I will...

Sighted in a 300 RUM wearing a Vortex Monday for a friend. Turrets dialed dead on and were repeatable. I don't own a Vortex, but I was impressed. Perhaps ask which brands of scopes have the least number sent to the manufacturer for issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.