Aero SOLUS Range Report

DoneNOut

Got the SOLUS to the range today. It was a range trip full of firsts!

First time building a rig with these components:

SOLUS action
CBI 26" .243 AI barrel
Magpul 700 Pro stock
TriggerTech 700 Special
.243 Lapua brass
88gr Hammer Hunters

SOLUS:

It operates smooth, 100% feeding from the AICS mag, ejectors send brass zinging at 3:30 about 5 feet! :D I started catching them so I wouldn't ding my newly fireformed AI brass! The little darling just impresses with feeding and ejecting so I'm hard pressed to find anything I don't like about it! Finish is nice, bolt throw short and it's got that nice chambering sound a bolt gun should have. Fits the Magpul Pro stock nicely. So, I guess I'll get onto the other things!

CBI Barrel:

Criterion barrel, Savage small shank prefit. It shot great right out the gate. First rounds out the tube. I cleaned it and used graphite to coat the bore prior to firing. I forgot to bring my cleaning gear, so I just shot it, 1 round per minute, 3 round groups with 5-7 min between groups. 24rnds total. Barrel stayed cool in the 35F. temp. I still need to borescope and see how everything looks in there! lol.

TriggerTech 700 Special:

WOW. I love the positive clicks you feel and hear when adjusting the trigger. I have it set at "telepathic". Crisp breaks, no creep or over travel.
So easy to install on the SOLUS trigger hanger. Plug & play.

Magpul 700 Pro Stock:

I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. It is a solid feeling piece of kit! It has full adjustability of everything one would want. No flimsy parts here that's for sure. The grip is adjustable to your trigger finger length with solid hash reference marks. No problems getting that 90 degree to the trigger finger placement. The only gripe I have is the front end is heavier than I think it needs to be, but if you are bipod, shooting from a rest, no worries. This gun set up for varmints and yotes, shooting off a stable position. The folding stock is really handy and locks up tight in both positions.

Bullets:

I ran the 88gr Hammers through my cupboard of powders on hand. I had several 3401fps duplicates with a few powders tested. I began to question if my chrono was working right, but it was. I'll save my hand load results for the reloading section. Today was one of the most effortless, fun & exciting range trips I've ever had. Things just worked and no surprises! Here are some pics from today:

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image4 (2).jpg

thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Got the SOLUS to the range today. It was a range trip full of firsts!

First time building a rig with these components:

SOLUS action
CBI 26" .243 AI barrel
Magpul 700 Pro stock
TriggerTech 700 Special
.243 Lapua brass
88gr Hammer Hunters

SOLUS:

It operates smooth, 100% feeding from the AICS mag, ejectors send brass zinging at 3:30 about 5 feet! :D I started catching them so I wouldn't ding my newly fireformed AI brass! The little darling just impresses with feeding and ejecting so I'm hard pressed to find anything I don't like about it! Finish is nice, bolt throw short and it's got that nice chambering sound a bolt gun should have. Fits the Magpul Pro stock nicely. So, I guess I'll get onto the other things!

CBI Barrel:

Criterion barrel, Savage small shank prefit. It shot great right out the gate. First rounds out the tube. I cleaned it and used graphite to coat the bore prior to firing. I forgot to bring my cleaning gear, so I just shot it, 1 round per minute, 3 round groups with 5-7 min between groups. 24rnds total. Barrel stayed cool in the 35F. temp. I still need to borescope and see how everything looks in there! lol.

TriggerTech 700 Special:

WOW. I love the positive clicks you feel and hear when adjusting the trigger. I have it set at "telepathic". Crisp breaks, no creep or over travel.
So easy to install on the SOLUS trigger hanger. Plug & play.

Magpul 700 Pro Stock:

I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. It is a solid feeling piece of kit! It has full adjustability of everything one would want. No flimsy parts here that's for sure. The grip is adjustable to your trigger finger length with solid hash reference marks. No problems getting that 90 degree to the trigger finger placement. The only gripe I have is the front end is heavier than I think it needs to be, but if you are bipod, shooting from a rest, no worries. This gun set up for varmints and yotes, shooting off a stable position. The folding stock is really handy and locks up tight in both positions.

Bullets:

I ran the 88gr Hammers through my cupboard of powders on hand. I had several 3401fps duplicates with a few powders tested. I began to question if my chrono was working right, but it was. I'll save my hand load results for the reloading section. Today was one of the most effortless, fun & exciting range trips I've ever had. Things just worked and no surprises! Here are some pics from today:

View attachment 437001

View attachment 437002

View attachment 437003

View attachment 437006
Where do you get those pre-printed targets at??

Sounds as though that action may be a winner and an affordable one at that! I hope they'll be able to keep up with demand.

You bet. First time I used them and I like how it consolidates all the info. I typically cut out the groups and save them in the respective rifle folder.
I hear ya I use binders for different rifles. Most of my targets come from that 6br site, that's the first time I've seen that particular one! It's keeper for sure.

Exactly, really like the consolidation of the data!! 👍