6.5 sherman range report

Hers is a pic of the bullets for a comparison.
140 Berger Hybrid (The gold standard)
142 Matrix-the most accurate bullet I have shot to date.
160 Matrix- bullet for the 2013 hunting season.
I don't think I have got the best from this
bullet yet. Have all summer to fine tune things.
155 Cauterucio- bullet for the 2012 season. Never got a
chance to take anything long range, but
did finish the season with no misses:)
View attachment 19986

Last group shot with the 160 at 1450yds. Nasty variable wind, 2 sighters and 4 on target.
View attachment 19985

I don't think I would want to be sitting on that rock:D......Rich

That rock is getting quite a battering lately.
It doesn't really show it well but those 4 shots will fit behind that sheet of paper.

From a 100yd zero it takes 37moa up for that distance.I think it took 8moa for windage that day. The week before the wind was alot stronger, took 14.5 moa for the same rock, but the groups from both the 6.5 /160 and Rhian's 270WSM /165 were close to half that size. Interesting.
Cliff

It doesn't really show it well but those 4 shots will fit behind that sheet of paper.

From a 100yd zero it takes 37moa up for that distance.I think it took 8moa for windage that day. The week before the wind was alot stronger, took 14.5 moa for the same rock, but the groups from both the 6.5 /160 and Rhian's 270WSM /165 were close to half that size. Interesting.
Cliff

Interesting and some pretty good shooting!.......Rich

Cliff

How much are you adjusting the vertical for the right and left cross winds?
Do you use about .3 times the drift?

Hers is a pic of the bullets for a comparison.
140 Berger Hybrid (The gold standard)
142 Matrix-the most accurate bullet I have shot to date.
160 Matrix- bullet for the 2013 hunting season.
I don't think I have got the best from this
bullet yet. Have all summer to fine tune things.
155 Cauterucio- bullet for the 2012 season. Never got a
chance to take anything long range, but
did finish the season with no misses:)
View attachment 19986

Last group shot with the 160 at 1450yds. Nasty variable wind, 2 sighters and 4 on target.
View attachment 19985

Where do you get the 160 gr Matrix bullets ?
I went to the Matrix website and the heaviest they got listed is 140 Gr.

Rich,
Rhian gives me the dope from his program, I don't know if that is already calculated in or not but I have not even thought about that. I'll watch that now and see if it doesn't improve things, especially first round hits.

Swamplord,
What we have are the first couple boxes made to test. After watching the performance of the 270/165gr bullet I asked Marshall to make something comparable in a 6.5. I had no idea that he could get 160 grains in that shape of bullet.I hope that there will be enough interest in them for to become a regular item. I don't know what they will be like in a smaller capacity case that would produce velocities in the 2600- 2800fps range, but so far in my rifle they seem to like to be driven fast:)

With a sectional density of .328 that equals the 170gr-270, 180-.284, 211-.308
Perfect LR elk bullet for me!
Cliff

I am definately interested in the 160 gr 6.5 mm bullet !
That bullet would be a perfect match for a wildcat I'm working with....
If I can get my hands on a box or two I'd put them through some extreme velocities no other 6.5 cartridge is capable of...

Let me know when you will have some available, I would like to test them on spring black bear and moose in Sept.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts