Advice

AKBman

So, over the years I have accumulated too wide of a variety of powders for my 300 WM. I have a pound and a half of about 4 or 5 different powders. RL 17&22&26, H4350, MR4000, then I have about 4# of MagPro, and I picked up 8# of 4955. The IMR4955 is every bit as temperature stable as they claim, so I am thinking that I should save it for the warmer temps, and use up the MagPro which is not temperature stable during the cooler months. The 4955 has gotten me to 1688, which is the furthest I have ever successfully engaged a target. It is a less than ideal powder for the 300, and is not suited to my 375, but it was what I could get. What would you do? I should mention that until the year, all I did was dabble in "long range" shooting with my Ruger M77MKII in 300 WM, which is why I bought a pound of this and a pound of that. My Sendero has been my real introduction into long range shooting, and I have done my best to add the best quality pieces to it.

Last edited:
Answered my own question today. I will be sticking with 4955 in an effort to save bullets. I already have a load chronographed in the 2 cases I use.

I wanted to say I just save all my powder I am not using because I will use it in the future. I don't load for different seasons, and just load the powder and bullet that I want and use it all the time. I did the entire coyote, mule deer, elk, white tail, bear, specific bullet for the specific situation. What an absolute waste of ammo and time for me. I gave one of my old 06 to my kid recently. If I remember correct I gave him seven different bullets from 150-200gr all on their specific load and just shy of 400 rounds. He was super confused....I just told him sight in and hunt with the one that says "Hunting Load" on the box only for what you want to eat. Use all the others to shoot targets, rocks, coyotes, or anything other than what you want to eat.

I have accumulated too wide of a variety of powders
That's like having too much money, it's not a thing. All it takes up is some shelf space. I have at least 25 different powders on hand, 2x that in bullets. Let's you do fun things to experiement.

It's like during October when you're getting to the bottom of the freezer and you have to ask what you're going to do with a pound of 50/50 venison/beef, 3 elk summer sausages, and a guinea fowl that's freezer burned to hell and back. The answer is boil the fowl and shred it, brown the ground, make a lot of tacos, and then make a fancy cheese and meat board for the wife and try to convince her it's a date and not a cop out.

Evolve Jurassic Park GIF

That's like having too much money, it's not a thing. All it takes up is some shelf space. I have at least 25 different powders on hand, 2x that in bullets. Let's you do fun things to experiement.

It's like during October when you're getting to the bottom of the freezer and you have to ask what you're going to do with a pound of 50/50 venison/beef, 3 elk summer sausages, and a guinea fowl that's freezer burned to hell and back. The answer is boil the fowl and shred it, brown the ground, make a lot of tacos, and then make a fancy cheese and meat board for the wife and try to convince her it's a date and not a cop out.

Evolve Jurassic Park GIF
I tell mine bear is Antelope. Works every time. You may want to try it......fair warning the consequence of truth could be painful.