Advice Sought (Proffesional Opinions Only Please)

Mizushobai

I am interested in learning the fine art of tactical long range shooting. I have been told that I should start with either a Remmington Varmant or a Winchester Stealth. Using a 308 ammo produced by Federal. Either 168 grain or 175 grain. Please comment on this set up. Also, wher is the best place to practice in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am interested in all proffesional opinions.

Couple places out there.

Here's one:

Posted by Patricia Gibbons on January 30, 1999 at 15:33:13:

The Santa Clara County Field Sports Park, operated by the
County's Parks and Rec Department,near Metcalf road and
HWY 101 in San Jose, has a 200 Yard range that is normally for DCM/CMP club activities ONLY.

For the past 2-1/2 years, a friend and I have been the
range officers at this range specifically on the 4th
Sundays of each month (except if it is raining) so that
this range can be used by shooters other than members of
the two rifle clubs that meet there.

For those that would like to come out on the 4th sunday of the month
with tactical or other types of rifles up to and including
.50 caliber you are invited to come out. We stress reduced
levels of regimentation so that everyone can have a good
time.

Hours are from 0900-1500 and range fee is $10.00 for all
day. Please bring your own stapler and pasters, standard
military 200 yard CMP targets are available.
Parks and Rec policy does NOT allow silhouette targets however :-(

For further information or directions, please
call the range office at: 408-463-0652

Thanx

Patricia Gibbons <[email protected]>
Comms maintenance supervisor-City of San Jose

Here's another:
http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

And one more:

There are several shoots held at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, California that may be of interest.

High Power Tactical Match at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, Sacramento, California, USA. This match is held the first Sunday of each month, rain or shine, at 0800 hrs. The course of fire is 36 rounds, no sighters, 200 to 1000 yards. The targets are B-27's which are engaged at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, 1000, and back to 830 to 900 yards, three shots at each distance. Then we come bask to 500 yards and start a march towards 200. During the march the targets will be exposed four times, at unknown distances, for 40 seconds each. While the targets are exposed 3 shots are fired. The targets are scored after each three shot string. Any gun, any sight as long as it is safe, (note you carry everything you are going to use for the course of the match) most shooters use bipods. See the May 1998 issue of Tactical Shooter, Mudville Militia article.

Lots of shooters will be using 308's and Federal Gold Medal Match in 175's or 168's.

Rifle choice is a bigger issue... There ar3e several active post on this site about which rifle to get...find these latest posts and review them for the varied opinions and reasoning...

BTW: Welcome to Long Range Hunting..

I agree with S1's statement about the 175 GMM ammo. They also fly MUCH better out to 1000 yards than the 168. More accurately that is. And with better weight and retained energy. Stick to a 1 in 11 or 1-11.25 twist, 12 will suffice, but 11.25 is very well balanced for this bullet with this caliber and can also work with the 168 if you so choose to use that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.