My next Rifle? Your opinions please

I decided on a Weatherby Vanguard weathershild in 6.5. 24"barrel, #3 contour i believe. Weighs 7.75 lbs naked. Putting on a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 and will be shooting Hornady Superformance SST 129gr. For hunting deer. I hope it will do well for a somewhat budget friendly set up.

I decided on a Weatherby Vanguard weathershild in 6.5. 24"barrel, #3 contour i believe. Weighs 7.75 lbs naked. Putting on a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 and will be shooting Hornady Superformance SST 129gr. For hunting deer. I hope it will do well for a somewhat budget friendly set up.
Great choice I have 2 older Vanguards that shoot lights out. 4350 has been the goto and what Hornady used on the 140 amax load. Enjoy in good health

Happy shooting! gun)

Enjoy your new Toy errr I mean tool....... :) I man can NEVER have to many guns.. Or can he?

Again the load data used was the MAX loads that Nosler list's for the given caliber. Both had 24" barrels...

So it is apples to apples. as far as that goes.

Sorry OP for the off topic and mucking up your thread. Sorry about that. I will stop now.

Either way you go as long as you are happy that's what counts. Good luck and enjoy your new (soon to be new) Gun.

Just would be careful with that load data on the 308. The Creed data is very light and the 308 is a tad heavy May be fine, May be not fine.

Nice choice, should be a fine rig.

What do you call midrange to longrange?

I have a 243 and my brother has a 6.5 creedmoor. Both are in the Ruger american predator. I to was looking for a cheap lightweight gun, That has the ability to shoot sub MOA groups. Also wanted one I would not feel as bad about banging it around. Theses rifles do that no problem. I have not even worked up a "pet" load for mine yet ( still shooting my hand loads for my other 243 I sold) and my brother is shooting factory amo with good results. My gun was about 439.00 out the door. You can get them cheaper if you shop around. This leaves plenty of room to put a good scope on it., And still be under your 1400 limit of just the gun. I know most people would not be willing to go with a Ruger American. I was not sold on it till I had one and started using it. For the price they are a good gun. Also they have the same basic trigger and bolt as the RPR's.

Also another selling point was they are 100% American made.

I am also sold on the Ruger on performance "out of the box". I have an article I saved from a magazine where the writer took an American and put on a Boyd forest camo stock.The cosmetics improved 100 % and he said his grouping improved 20%.An adjustable cheekpiece was also on it.I am thinking right now of getting it in 243 for a lt wt groundhog gun for up to 400 yds.

I would look at the Savage LRH. Very nice weight and balance for carry, while still having enough stability for LR work. I have one and have seen quite a few others in 6.5x284, all that are exceptionally accurate and consistent, with better than .5MOA. While I llike the CM, my 6.5x284's at 3000FPS with 140VLD's have proven to be highly effective on big bodied Canadian mule deer and whitetails out to 1000 yards.

I would look at the Savage LRH.

I'm looking for the same type of rifle features as JH and of the 2 LRHs I checked I could not slide a dollar bill between the barrel and for-end (ie not free floated). What's up with that!

I like this gun in all other respects and am about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on one.

Bob

I'm looking for the same type of rifle features as JH and of the 2 LRHs I checked I could not slide a dollar bill between the barrel and for-end (ie not free floated). What's up with that!

I like this gun in all other respects and am about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on one. A few swipes of sandpaper t

Bob

The LRH has a small, less then 1/4" pressure tab at the tip of the forearm channel. A few swipes of sandpaper removes it and fully floats the barrel. Torque the stocks guard screws at 35-40#. I'm not sure why Savage decided to use a pressure point on the barrel but I removed it before I ever shot the rifle. It's been a consistent .25MOA rifle with Berger 140 Hunting VLD's and Retumbo at 3000FPS. With the muzzle break, it has the recoil of a 22-250. Nice shooter!

Thanks for the insight Greyfox.

Jack hope you enjoy the Weatherby if you go that route keep us posted on how it shoots.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.