Wanting some opinions

SCdeerhunter

Ok, new guy here. I've been reading on here for a while now and finally joined. Wanted to get the opinion of guys with a lot more experience than I have. Been hunting and shooting for 20+ years so have a decent knowledge base, but this is my first attempt at long range. Want a rifle for deer and some long range shooting (600 yards- long range for me haha). So I've settled in a Remington Sendero in 25-06. For optics I'm thinking leupold vx3i 4.5x14x40 with side focus and a 30mm tube. Plan on mounting it all with Talley one piece mounts. I'm on a pretty tight budget so before I pull the trigger on all this I wanted to get you guys opinion on it to make sure I'm not missing anything or making a bad decision equipment wise. Thanks in advance.

SC

For what you want to do I'd consider other equipment. First I'd step up to 7mm or at least 6.5mm so you can use some of the really great long range bullets available in those calibers. Also, get 1 in 8 twist rifling so you can use those bullets. I'd also up the top end magnification on your scope. If you want to hit small you have to aim small. 14 power doesn't cut it at 600 yards. I'd look at some of the 6X - 24X scopes. The higher power also helps greatly in load development. I'd also change rifle brands. I'd go with Savage as they tend to be the most accurate factory rifle right out of the box and will let you avoid paying more money to fix the trigger on the Rem. Also if later on you want to try a different chambering you can unscrew the Savage barrel and put on a different one yourself. I've got 6 Savages and I mix and match parts all the time. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

SC, before this thread is done you'll have a variety of suggestions. Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific to your budget and if you reload would help. Agree with E-101, you're stuck with very limited bullet choice for a .25 cal. You may try to avoid the black plastic stocks which rob accuracy. A wood one if possible a composite (carbon fiber/fiberglass) and epoxy bed it. The barrel twist is important and finding a factory rifle with a twist faster than standard will add difficulty. It will all boil down to what you are budgeting for rifle and scope. Welcome and wish you luck

SC, I agree you don't want a 25-06 Sendero. And this is coming from a guy who has shot a 25-06 for many years and likes the cartridge. The 25-06 has it's benefits but it is not really a long range deer rifle. It is more like a 500 yard deer rifle and that is getting toward some limits. The 25-06 gets it's long-range reputation as more of a LR varmint rifle. It is fast and flat with 75 to 85 gr. Bullets and can tear a woodchuck up from a long ways. But those aren't deer bullets.

I also would not recommend the Sendero. You would probably end up putting more money that the initial purchase price into it and it could get spendy fast.

I would recommend the Savage Long Range Hunter in 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win, or in 6.5-284. The Savage LRH comes with a brake and has an excellent trigger and serious reputation for accuracy. Plus it is easy to put a custom barrel on it later if that's where the road takes you. You can use the saved money for a better scope. Something like a Vortex PST or Night Force SHV.

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I feel like maybe I should specify that the primary role if this rifle(whichever it is), is a deer rifle. More or less want a rifle that I can hunt with while still being able to get into some longer range shooting. My max range while hunting would be around 400 yards. I don't reload yet either so I'm trying to stay away from some of the less widely available calibers. I would love to get into reloading eventually​but honestly the thought is somewhat overwhelming as I have no idea as to where to begin. I will look into the Savage though and see what all they have. I'm not opposed to say a 7mm rem mag, just kinda felt it was overkill for the smaller deer we have in SC. So now back to doing some research trying to pick everything out, which I'm sure my wife is tired of hearing about at this point.

Edit- another rifle I had looked at was the Browning x bolt hells canyon long range in 7mm rem mag. Any opinions on those? Don't really hear a whole lot about Browning rifles. Just curious.

SC - If only shooting deer to 400 yards and not currently a reloader. The 6.5 Creedmoor was made for you. :) It has some of the most affordable quality ammo for target and hunting on the market. It is a excellent long range target rifle to 1000 yards. It has much better barrel life than the 25-06 will. And due to the high BC of 6.5 bullets, it will have more energy at 400 yards too. The 6.5 Creed has become extremely popular they last few years.

SC, I agree you don't want a 25-06 Sendero. And this is coming from a guy who has shot a 25-06 for many years and likes the cartridge. The 25-06 has it's benefits but it is not really a long range deer rifle. It is more like a 500 yard deer rifle and that is getting toward some limits. The 25-06 gets it's long-range reputation as more of a LR varmint rifle. It is fast and flat with 75 to 85 gr. Bullets and can tear a woodchuck up from a long ways. But those aren't deer bullets.

I also would not recommend the Sendero. You would probably end up putting more money that the initial purchase price into it and it could get spendy fast.

I would recommend the Savage Long Range Hunter in 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win, or in 6.5-284. The Savage LRH comes with a brake and has an excellent trigger and serious reputation for accuracy. Plus it is easy to put a custom barrel on it later if that's where the road takes you. You can use the saved money for a better scope. Something like a Vortex PST or Night Force SHV.

Good luck and welcome.
I agree, I have the long range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Excellent rifle...

Ok so I think y'all have me talked into 6.5 creedmor. Not sure which rifle yet though. Now for optics, given what I plan to use it for will the Leupold scope I mentioned originally work? I had looked at the vortex viper but some of the reviews I read kind of scared me off. And I've always loved the Leupold that I've had.

The 6.5 Creedmoore will be fine for 600 yard deer, and if your stuck on factory ammo, that is the selling point on that cartridge. There are others better performing long range deer cartridges, but good long range factory ammo can get expensive for cartridges such as a 7mm mag and others, so the best option is to reload with those bigger ones. And if your starting out in long range, ammunition cost is a consideration because you need to (and will want to, its FUN!!) spend a lot of time practicing. With the Creedmoore, there are good long range factory ammunition selections to go on that are not terribly expensive relative to other factory ammo, and recoil is low.

As for a choice in firearms, there are lots of good options. Tikka's are good, Savages are good, and despite what many say, Remingtons are good. In the last few months I have done load development for 3 different factory Remingtons, 1 in 22-250 and 2 in 7mm mag. The 22-250 is shooting well under half MOA out to 300 yards (as far as I have shot it) with 40 grain V-max bullets, one of the 7 mags is shooting in the .2 and .3's at 100 yards and holding half MOA or less out to 700 yards shooting 168 Bergers, and the other 7mm mag is shooting 180 Bergers over 3000 fps and is shooting right around half MOA at 100 yards, haven't stretched it out yet but I have no doubt it will deliver. All that has been done to these rifles is a bedding job and proper torquing of action and scope/base screws. My .260 AI is built off a Remington 700 that was chambered in .308, and after load development it was shooting right around half MOA before I rebarreled it. My Remington 700 sps varmint in 22-250 shot under half MOA until I burned the barrel out. I have personally developed loads for 9 different Remingtons in the last 5 years, and EVERY one of them shot half inch @100 or better with bedding and load development. All I'm saying, is if your new to long range, there are alot of people that will bash Remington. They are not bad rifles.

That being said, I also have Savages. Barrelnut is right about them, they are very good shooting rifles as well, and if you want to rebarrel down the road, it is easy. And to my knowledge, Remington doesn't chamber any rifles in 6.5 creedmoore yet... so Savage is a good option. So is tikka, or Browning. The x bolt is a nice rifle, The one I shot was a good shooter. Keep in mind, the aftermarket products for pretty much anything accept Remington and Savage are not as vast.

For optics....14 power is fine for 600 yards if that is all you can afford, especially if that is your farthest distance you would shoot. I have a 6.5-20 and I shoot steel to 1600 yards regularly, and have shot at 14x at that distance, as that is where my milling reticle is a true mil, and it is very possible. 600 yards is cake with 14 power. My father has a 4-16 PST SFP on his 6.5x55, and my 13 year old niece was able to hit a 12" steel plate at 1005 yards 4 shots in a row just the other day....so 14x is just fine for 600 yards. That is...unless your firearms skills are less than that of a novice 13 year old girl....

The Vortex HS-T is a good low price option. It's essentially the PST without the illuminated reticle. The Burris Veracity line of scopes are great optics too, they have a 3-15 and a 4-20 that would be good. if your budget is tighter than those, Nikon may have something to offer, but I haven't checked them out for a while. I'm a big fan of Vortex because they are awesome supporters of LE and military, and offer great discounts for LE and military, and they also have a great warranty, though with the 4 scopes 3 binoculars and 1 spotting scope we have received from them none have needed it.

Just my input. Hope you get a good shooter put together!!

While the optics on the Vortex HS scopes are good enough and provide good value they are no where near as good as the PSTs so they are not equivalent. And the PST cost 60% more.

Actually no....the PST only costs about 25% more than the HST.

Vortex Optics - Viper HST 4-16x44 VMR-1<br />(MOA)

^HST @ 719.99 MSRP

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1<br />(MOA)

^PST @ 899.OO MSRP

The glass on the PST is better, but for someone on a budget, the difference between the two (I shoot them side by side) is not enough to justify the extra cost, at least in my personal opinion. Your budget would be the main determining factor.

SC - If only shooting deer to 400 yards and not currently a reloader. The 6.5 Creedmoor was made for you. :) It has some of the most affordable quality ammo for target and hunting on the market. It is a excellent long range target rifle to 1000 yards. It has much better barrel life than the 25-06 will. And due to the high BC of 6.5 bullets, it will have more energy at 400 yards too. The 6.5 Creed has become extremely popular they last few years.

This would be a winner for your needs. Just add the best scope your eye likes and will fit your budget. Good luck

Thanks guys. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Browning X-bolt hells canyon long range in 6.5 creedmoor. This will pretty much be my "long range deer gun". Even though my definition of long range is shorter than y'all's. Top it with the Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x44 on Talley mounts. Eventually I still want to build a semi custom on a 700 action but that can wait til Christmas time. Thanks for the help though and I'll post pics in a month or so when I get everything put together

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.