Advice resizing the 7mm Rem Mag requested

LRRiflemanSNJ

Hello. I will admit that I am new to reloading the 7mm Rem Mag, but not to reloading. Prior to purchasing my Remington 700 Long Range, I did considerable research. I found many conflicting opinions about resizing, from neck sizing to full length sizing, to special dies that size just ahead of the belt. Honestly, I am at a loss.

My goal is to develop a sub minute load for long range F class matches, but I wish to maximize the case life. I am accustomed to getting 10+ loads out of my 223s and 308s.

Should I be full length resize after every firing, neck size exclusively, alternate full length resizing and neck resize, resize body and belt with special dies, or what?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gun)

I partially full length size with my full length size die, meaning i size the body and only touch the shoulder. I am only pushing the shoulder back .001" so i am still head spacing on the shoulder. I am on my 5th reload with Winchester brass. And i run them hot for hunting loads.

Might i add that the best precision i have ever achieved in 7mm Rem Mag was with IMR 4350 and 162gr Amax.
Not the fastest velocity (hunting) but definitely the tightest groups.

Attachments

• 2013-02-22 22.39.06.jpg
    2013-02-22 22.39.06.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 366
I start with factory ammo (federal), shoot it, neck size (lee collet) check trim I do this for 4 fireings. I then anneal full length size check trim load and shoot, then collet size 4 more times.
The brass I am using now has 11 fireings and still going strong

Hello. I will admit that I am new to reloading the 7mm Rem Mag, but not to reloading. Prior to purchasing my Remington 700 Long Range, I did considerable research. I found many conflicting opinions about resizing, from neck sizing to full length sizing, to special dies that size just ahead of the belt. Honestly, I am at a loss.

My goal is to develop a sub minute load for long range F class matches, but I wish to maximize the case life. I am accustomed to getting 10+ loads out of my 223s and 308s.

Should I be full length resize after every firing, neck size exclusively, alternate full length resizing and neck resize, resize body and belt with special dies, or what?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gun)
Nosler brass
7828 SSC (load work-up, of course)
Berger 168 VLD
Fed 215M primer
seated .010-.015" off the lands

I neck-size only, until I get resistance when chambering, then I FL resize them all. Then I go back to neck-sizing till I get more resistance, then FL size them again.

Like others have mentioned, the lee collet die will be your friend. I've exclusively used it on my 7RM. When things get tight, I will then FL size the brass. I'll start with the die a little farther out and increase the die depth in small increments until I can close the bolt without resistance.

Nosler brass
7828 SSC (load work-up, of course)
Berger 168 VLD
Fed 215M primer
seated .010-.015" off the lands

I neck-size only, until I get resistance when chambering, then I FL resize them all. Then I go back to neck-sizing till I get more resistance, then FL size them again.

I do the same thing and I anneal whenever they need trimming and toss the brass when it needs its third trimming.( not including the initial trim from new brass)

The .001" shoulder bump through my standard sizing die makes for some accurate loads.

SNJ, like MudRunner I neck size until resistance and use the Redding body die set to cam over and bump the neck to spec. Anneal after 3 or 4. Powder, whatever works best as well as primers along with the 168 Berger VLD. Good luck

I got to jump in here, I have a question I also reload 7rm. I have both neck sizer dies and FL die set. How do you bump the shoulder back .001 to .002 with a FL die? I have RCBS dies do I need to get the collet die to bump the shoulder back and size the neck at the same time? or do I neck size only?

With a full length size die.

Its actually a misnomer to say that it bumps the shoulder ONLY.
What it does is size entire case and only moves the shoulder .001.

I measure this with the Hornady heaspace bushing. I also measure incremental points along the body before and after and the body gets sized mostly .002"

In reality this (bump) is almost always right at the the point where the action closes easily.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.