7mm resizing life

bkondeff

My 7mm Mag cases have been reloaded 5 times. I noticed this time it seems like with FL resize I am barely getting them sized down to the right length. measure 4.0135-4.015 with gauge. My dies make very straight brass, .001 runout or less, which is great for basic RCBS. Other than shoulders, all else seems fine with brass(primer pockets, necks, no cracks, etc.). Does the shoulders get harder to bump back with more reloadings? or could it be my dies? PS my dies are set so tht I can't even cam over my press all the way, so there is no room left to adjust it.

Your brass is becoming work hardened. Anneal the neck and shoulder to soften it and you will get a few more loads from it.

Your brass is becoming work hardened. Anneal the neck and shoulder to soften it and you will get a few more loads from it.

+1.

I anneal after every firing. It's quick and it works. Well, change that...I did anneal after every firing prior to getting the necks of my sizer dies honed. Now there is so much less brass work hardening, I've changed to about every 3 firings.

Thanks guys. I found a great old post here with pics and everything on the Annealing process. I will try before my next round of reloads. I have now been a rookie reloader for about 4 years, every time I think I know enough to be dangerous I look back at the last year and realize how much I have learned.

The thing about reloading is you will allways learn new things. If you stoped, it might not be as fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.