Advice on Scope Welcomed

Don't mean to nitpick @ShtrRdy just trying to relieve some confusion.

The mk5 is a different scope;

It has a 35mm tube which is kind of unique, and come in a couple of models. Optically I like the 5-25 a lot better than the compact 3.6-18

Here is what I believe the OP settled on, a VX5HD

That is amazing, didn't know that sort of thing was available.
Thank you.
The Eliminator is a complex video scope - not a traditional scope. This doesn't seem like the right direction for reliability, ease of use and weather/bush resistance. Small Lady, you've dived into the middle of a bunch of hard core shooters that are willing to spend real money to achieve more and more marginal improvements in results.

I've read every post to this question and your other post on fire arm selection. I view you as a practical thinker trying to make good choices on both products. What you can't easily see from your experience here is that there is an inherent bias running throughout the forum - that is a degree of experience or desire for experience with high end products and high end results. I don't see this as part of your objective. I'm guessing reliability, ease of use, practical pricing and fit for purpose as being more down your lane.

No one here has mentioned the practical realities of their suggestions. In my opinion there is no doubt that you need/want a second focal plane scope, rather than first focal plane. You're not here to be a 'Long Range Hunter'. You're here to put together a rig for your needs and environment. I've been there. For the most part, long range for you will be between 300 to 400 yards. With your 7 PRC that is essentially point and shoot. I seriously doubt that you'll be ranging and then dialing with your scope - so that trims a LOT of money off of the choices. I have NightForce ATACr's, Swarovskis, Zeiss, Leupold, Bushnell, on and on. If you have a laser range finder, you don't need the weight and complexity of first focal plane scopes - the whole FFP deal is using the reticle to detect range, and then dial to that new point of impact. Another point - in the denser woods and bush a 5x or 6x low range is a serious disadvantage - the field of view is too small at even the lowest setting. You've already said that you're smart enough to dial your scope down after you take a shot at a longer distance on higher magnification. Compliments! The worst attribute of an FFP scope is how small the reticle is - and how tight the lines are together on low magnification. Even the FFP users say this is a big problem, only offset best with a lighted reticle. I probably have 10 4.5-14 VX3 Leupold scopes in my safe. They are great. I have several 2.5-10x Leupolds - a great all around choice based on price, use, reliability, and ruggedness. Unlike most here - you're not dialing elevation for dollars. With a segmented reticle for hold over + a little shooting with it at spec'd distances, it's pretty much a no brainer.
It bugs me to see the number of people on here telling you the nuances of adjusting the valves on their Ferrari's when all you asked about was how to change the oil in your Pinto!! Trust me, $2,500 US is all you need to spend to have Great results and a Great user experience. The Leica 6 SFP (second focal plane) scopes are a great choice, Leupold is too. You really won't see the $$ differences of the more/most expensive brands based on your stated needs.

Just trying to offer some practical help here and 'keep it real'.

The Mk5 HD 3-15x56 is an excellent scope. You'll be very happy with it.
I don't agree on this one bit - #1. SL (OP) has no to little need for FFP. 2. This is a saddle gun. You want a 56mm objective on a scabbard gun? She's not shooting PRS here! There a lot of people posting here that are parroting their likes and desires without regard for the practical aspect of what this poster has clearly laid out. It's just not helpful.

It has a 35mm tube which is kind of unique, and come in a couple of models. Optically I like the 5-25 a lot better than the compact 3.6-18

Correct.

I have also posted a pic of the tag on the demo model.
I will post it again for those who missed it the first time.

20231004_115602.jpg

The Eliminator is a complex video scope - not a traditional scope. This doesn't seem like the right direction for reliability, ease of use and weather/bush resistance. Small Lady, you've dived into the middle of a bunch of hard core shooters that are willing to spend real money to achieve more and more marginal improvements in results.

I've read every post to this question and your other post on fire arm selection. I view you as a practical thinker trying to make good choices on both products. What you can't easily see from your experience here is that there is an inherent bias running throughout the forum - that is a degree of experience or desire for experience with high end products and high end results. I don't see this as part of your objective. I'm guessing reliability, ease of use, practical pricing and fit for purpose as being more down your lane.

No one here has mentioned the practical realities of their suggestions. In my opinion there is no doubt that you need/want a second focal plane scope, rather than first focal plane. You're not here to be a 'Long Range Hunter'. You're here to put together a rig for your needs and environment. I've been there. For the most part, long range for you will be between 300 to 400 yards. With your 7 PRC that is essentially point and shoot. I seriously doubt that you'll be ranging and then dialing with your scope - so that trims a LOT of money off of the choices. I have NightForce ATACr's, Swarovskis, Zeiss, Leupold, Bushnell, on and on. If you have a laser range finder, you don't need the weight and complexity of first focal plane scopes - the whole FFP deal is using the reticle to detect range, and then dial to that new point of impact. Another point - in the denser woods and bush a 5x or 6x low range is a serious disadvantage - the field of view is too small at even the lowest setting. You've already said that you're smart enough to dial your scope down after you take a shot at a longer distance on higher magnification. Compliments! The worst attribute of an FFP scope is how small the reticle is - and how tight the lines are together on low magnification. Even the FFP users say this is a big problem, only offset best with a lighted reticle. I probably have 10 4.5-14 VX3 Leupold scopes in my safe. They are great. I have several 2.5-10x Leupolds - a great all around choice based on price, use, reliability, and ruggedness. Unlike most here - you're not dialing elevation for dollars. With a segmented reticle for hold over + a little shooting with it at spec'd distances, it's pretty much a no brainer.
It bugs me to see the number of people on here telling you the nuances of adjusting the valves on their Ferrari's when all you asked about was how to change the oil in your Pinto!! Trust me, $2,500 US is all you need to spend to have Great results and a Great user experience. The Leica 6 SFP (second focal plane) scopes are a great choice, Leupold is too. You really won't see the $$ differences of the more/most expensive brands based on your stated needs.

Just trying to offer some practical help here and 'keep it real'.

Thank you.

I to have read every post in this thread, and appreciate them all, even those who posted about stuff I don't want, as its good to get a wide range of opinions.
Picked up my new Leupold scope yesterday, and before I got around to mounting it myself, as I was running multiple vehicles back and forth to the city to get new winter tires, it became a project for the guys, who mounted it yesterday, and then got it sighted in pretty darn close shooting beer cans.
Last night I was told that I had to finish tweaking it, but it would hit a beer can at 100 yards lol.
Yes I do love my boss and coworkers.
Last night and today I finished up adjusting it, and then put another 22 rounds through it today, not once missing a beer can at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Its been great practice using my new Leica rangemaster, and then setting up the drop in my scope.
At 500 yards i just barely hit the bottom of the Kokanee can, aiming for the middle, but did hit it at least. I readjusted for shots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 at 500 yards, and was closer to center, but shot 4 was really high and almost went over the can, so know what is too low, and too High at 500 yards.
Great post you wrote up here Don, appreciate it, thanks.

Ps. I feel good about my moose hunt in a few days.
I have put 142 rounds through my new 7mm, and coworkers another 18.
I cleaned it a little bit ago, then put 1 fouling round through it from my front deck.
Forgot to buy a spare battery for my scope, so hopefully it lasts through my hunt, If not no worries, just no lit up red center dot. Should look up what battery it takes, write it on my weekly shopping list, so I don't forget again.

Last edited:
I don't agree on this one bit - #1. SL (OP) has no to little need for FFP. 2. This is a saddle gun. You want a 56mm objective on a scabbard gun? She's not shooting PRS here! There a lot of people posting here that are parroting their likes and desires without regard for the practical aspect of what this poster has clearly laid out. It's just not helpful.

Actually this scope went on my 7mm prc.
My current saddle gun is an iron site 30-30, but I want to someday upgrade it a little bit, but stay lever action, could well end up being a 243.

I already bought a Leupold 3-15 by 56 scope for my 7.

Eventually get a new saddle gun, and put a scope on it, but probably a little smaller diameter.
I like keeping 1 rifle scopeless, so may never put anything on the 30-30.

Ps. The Leupold scope was on sale for $1950 Canadian, which is about $1428 American at todays exchange rate.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to shooting.
Having moved from a large city, and never shooting a gun before, to living on a huge acreage, and now a gun owner.

I first bought a 22 long rifle, then a lever 30-30, but a couple weeks ago bought a Christensen Ridgeline 7mm PRC.
My new Christensen is what I want to get the scope for.
My budget is up to $5000, I've heard there are scopes that cost triple that, but they're not for me.
I know that I want at least a 50mm if not 56mm so it is bright. Magnification from say 3, 4, or 5, up to 24 or more.

Do any good scopes have built in range finders?

I'm not very good at guessing distances.

Will any scope fit on my rifle?

I have shot a few peoples rifles this past year with scopes on them, and noticed a huge amount of quality difference when looking through them, between cheap, and more expensive.
Yes, there are many optical sights out there on the market that will fill your need. I understand your desire for the built in range finder, but that does limit your choices to I think two or three brands. You will still need to shoot that rifle at the distances it is reading to ensure that it shoots where it is supposed to shoot.

Otherwise, there are some good brands that can serve you well for less than $5K. Take a look at Leupold, March, NightForce and a few others I can't think of right now.

When evaluating a scope, get it into a stable position then examine the edges of the object you are vewing at distance. The good scopes will be clear and not blurred all the way across the viewing plane.

Most scopes will fit your rifle if you mount in in the proper height rings.

While you do not absolutely need the most expensive scope for hunting, especially if you will not be shooting more than about 300 yards or so, when it comes to good reliable glass that has a guarantee, you get what you pay for. That is not a joke. Those 200 or 300 $ scopes you see in some catalogs are usually not reliable or repeatable for adjustments and resistant to fogging.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

Thank you.

I to have read every post in this thread, and appreciate them all, even those who posted about stuff I don't want, as its good to get a wide range of opinions.
Picked up my new Leupold scope yesterday, and before I got around to mounting it myself, as I was running multiple vehicles back and forth to the city to get new wonter tires, it became a project for the guys, who mounted it yesterday, and then got it sighted in pretty darn close shooting beer cans.
Last night I was told that I had to finish tweaking it, but it would hit a beer can at 100 yards lol.
Yes I do love my boss and coworkers.
Last night and today I finished up adjusting it, and then put another 22 rounds through it today, not once missing a beer can at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Its been great practice using my new Leica rangemaster, and then setting up the drop in my scope.
At 500 yards i just barely hit the bottom of the Kokanee can, aiming for the middle, but did hit it at least. I readjusted for shots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 at 500 yards, and was closer to center, but shot 4 was really high and almost went over the can, so know what is too low, and too High at 500 yards.
Great post you wrote up here Don, appreciate it, thanks.

Ps. I feel good about my moose hunt in a few days.
I have put 142 rounds through my new 7mm, and coworkers another 18.
I cleaned it a little bit ago, then put 1 fouling round through it from my front deck.
Forgot to buy a spare battery for my scope, so hopefully it lasts through my hunt, If not no worries, just no lit up red center dot. Should look up what battery it takes, write it on my weekly shopping list, so I don't forget again.
We had a guy come out to our range with an Eliminator. His first problem was he didn't know how the scope worked. He had previously had it mounted on a 223 and he took it off and put it on a 308. He did not even try to sight the scope in after the change. We were shooting at 600 yards with illuminated targets at night. He could not see where his bullets were landing and after blowing thru two boxes of ammo he gave up. I have not seen him since.

Thank you from pointing out the difference. I appreciate it.