Adjustable combs

Packrat 6

Ok, here's the situation. Normally an adjustable comb is installed on a shotgun for Trap or Skeet. However, I went into the Springfield Armory site and they are now installing them on the Super Match and the M-21 M1A's with the heavy wood stock, which I have.

I absolutely hate the strap on, Springfield cheek pad that I have on my Super Match, so was thinking about having an adjustable comb installed , BUT, I can't find out any information from any of the sites on how high their adjustable combs go. I need at least a 2" lift from the top of the stock to be comfortable with a 6-24 x 56 mm Springfield Scope.

So I thought maybe one of the shot gunners on this site may have an adjustable comb installed on their shotgun and can tell me the maximum adjustment height and maybe even the manufacturer of what they have, at least.

Anyone got a adjustable comb on one of their shotguns so I can at least get an idea of whether it will work or not. Please.

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Well, it's been over a week for Springfield and over 2 weeks for some of the other adjustable comb manufacturers. No response. Can only wait a little longer and see if the holidays screwed with their Customer service activities.

No response on the LRH forum so guess I'll have to either go find a shotgun forum somewhere or just be patient, for which I'm not noted .

Thanks anyway for those that looked, but couldn't answer because they didn't have the equipment to measure..

Packrat

I install my proprietary hardware into most of the stocks that I make. There's no reason this can't be installed into your M1A stock. You will not get a full 2" of travel, but will get 1.750", which is quite a bit.
Keep in mind, that if you have an adjustable cheek piece installed, you will have to re-finish the stock, as the comb will need to be re-shaped after the install.
Here's a few pictures of my stuff...

Attachments

• berry5.jpg
    berry5.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 161
  • berry7.jpg
    berry7.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 142
  • mb4.jpg
    mb4.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 162
Joel,
Appreciate the response. am attaching a few pictures and not sure a 1.75" lift will do it, with the Springfield mount and the Scope, is waaaaayyyy up there.

Take a look and if you have time, tell me what you think.

Someone on another forum suggested a Archangel Stock, which is what they had to do. Is adjustable both LOP and rise, so I may have to do that. Also thinking about trading it off for 2 Springfield Scouts with wood stocks. Would be about an even trade dollar wise and I have TWO grandsons that don't get into the long range shooting. that way would be able to give each one of them one. I'm 71 now so not sure if am going to be able to LR shoot many more years, even after my eye surgery.

Anyway....
DSCN0873.jpg DSCN0877.jpg DSCN0879.jpg

anyway, thanks for the response.

Packrat aka Bruce

You're not kidding Bruce, it is way up there.
I took a look at the Archangel stock with the saddle type cheek piece, and as much as I hate to admit it, it's probably your best option...
Unless of course, those grand kids come first..:)

Yep...the darn thing is accurate as hell out to 1000 yds, as it ought to be, since Springfield built it and then accurized it. One of the local gun shops told me if it was in their stock, would probably go for between $3500 an $4000 with the Pelican 1750 case, since it only has only about 200 - 250 rods downrange since it was built. About the time I got it a couple of years ago, eyesight started going so dropped down to the the National Match where I could shoot factory ammo out to generally about 600 - 800 yds a lot cheaper.

Since I would still have the NM could get the boys scouts, then my son would inherit the NM. Since the scouts go for about $1400 -$1600 new, would be a good trade for someone. Would put all the boys on the same playing field when shooting.

I really shouldn't have traded off the CMP Navy .308 M-1 for the Remington 700 VTR that Remington just rebuilt for me since they misdrilled the scope mounting holes. Got a few other guns to go with the VTR, but have already given them out to family members.

Well, will look at the Archangel stock some more, and see what I want to do. It had good reviews on a couple of the shooting sites with the M1A. Not so good with the Remington 700's though. I think the integral bipod is too weak and the stock too heavy for field work.

If you haven't figured it out, really love the M1A.

BTW, one other option is to have you build me a custom stock, but afraid it would run more than $25.00......:D

Anyway, thanks again for the response, was worth a try!

packrat, aka Bruce

Packrat family photo.jpg

Threw in a picture of my son and the two boys......ROFL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts