Adding moa to a 20moa rail

Welderboy11972

Hey guys, I'm going to give light class ELR a try. Just had a few questions.
I certainly shoot a 300rum with the 210vlds and 250 a-tips. I've gotten pretty consistent at 1moa and less groups at 1250yrds. (Max at the range) I have Defiance action on the rum, it has a 20moa rail. My elevation at 1250 is 28.675moa. My scope has 40moa of travel. I'm going to run out of elevation in my turret if I get out there aways. So, my question is, do I get the Eratac or get a 40moa base/rings and put on my 20moa rail. If I get the Eratac, I was going to set it at around 40moa and leave it. Any thoughts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What scope are you running? Does it have 40 moa total travel or 40 each way for a total of 80?

Eratac is a fine option but I'd be looking at a scope that has 100 or more minutes of internal adjustment. Even the Ko1M went out to 2400 yards last year and thats gonna be roughly 75 moa depending on DA. You could set up Eratac base to give you a large zero offset to have your "zero" be at around 1000 yards and that will let you stretch out farther.

Might want to consider something adjustable like the Ivey mount.

If you are going to be serious about ELR, the March Genesis is something to look at.

I have a Vortex Golden eagle on the rifle now. Vortex website says it has 40moa travel. So I'm assuming that is total travel. I also have a Sightron SIII 10-50×56 with the moa2 reticle. They say it has 50moa of travel. But I don't trust that scope. Had the reticle come loss on it. Sent it in for repairs. Got it back and it worked fine. Except...now it has random blobs around on the reticle that move with every shot. I'm assuming it's left over trash from the repair, that didn't get cleaned out.

I have looked at the March scopes in the past. My only quirk with them is the warranty. I have also looked at the IOR scopes.

I know this sounds bad, but I was looking for a cheaper fix, until I get to a match or two and decide if it's worth me spending the money. My skill level might not be to the level of shooting at those distances. 1250yrd is my longest shots at this point. I am very comfortable shooting at that distance. But 2400yrds is a good bit away from 1250yrds.

Thanks for your reply and time. Maybe I'll see you at a match some day.

I have experience in 2000 yard match shooting...30cal bullets have advanced a bit since those I shot beside with my 338 so I'll leave aside my dated observations of 30cals at such ranges as they have gotten better. But just looking at drops if you're going to shoot beyond 2000 yards I struggle to see your scope and a standard base getting you the 90+ MOA you are going to need unless you are using a reticle hold.

If you want to put more cant on with that scope you will be forced to run a zero offset. You already have it maxed out, or close.

If you go to a scope with more internal elevation you will be much farther ahead than just putting a base on with the scope you have.

Put something with 120 moa internal on your current base that will let you dial out to 2400 yards. (80 moa). If you put it in those rings with 40 moa cant to use all 120 moa you will be able to dial to 3000 ish, depending on DA.

Buy an MDT MOA base....20- 60 moa available under 100.00 Canadian
.(..that's........about 2.00 U.S. 😊)
I believe his action has an integral rail, otherwise ya I'd put a new base on it.

Yep, you can get up to 40 MOA. I have this set-up on a couple of my rifles.
I am running that on one of my 22's with a flat base with the inserts only for 40 moa. Gets me out to 500 yards just barely with a vortex Strike Eagle 34 mm tube with no zero stop installed. At zero at 50 yards I have about 5 clicks below 0. The only problem is when shooting 25 to 100 yards you are on the edge of the glass where the quality is not as good as the center. But I cant put $2500 and greater optics on every gun :(

My apologies for taking a bit to respond. My job and brass prep has kept me highly entertained the last few days. I'll try to respond as best as I can. Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have experience in 2000 yard match shooting...30cal bullets have advanced a bit since those I shot beside with my 338 so I'll leave aside my dated observations of 30cals at such ranges as they have gotten better. But just looking at drops if you're going to shoot beyond 2000 yards I struggle to see your scope and a standard base getting you the 90+ MOA you are going to need unless you are using a reticle hold.
I agree that a 338cal has some advantages over the 30cal. But that's a conversion for another day. According to my AB app, I need 64ish moa at 2000yrd and 103ish moa for a 2500yrd shot. With the bullet going subsonic at around 2160yrd. With that being said, with what I have now, I need to set my limits to around 2000yrd. I'm not so sure my skill set will let me go much more then that. After that point, I feel like I would just be wasting ammo.

You could try a set of Burris XTR Signature Rings. That would be your least costly method of getting there. They come in +5, +10 and +20 inserts.

I have seen guys on here talk about those rings but never really thought about them. Time to do some research. Thank you

I know you are concerned about weight, but Spuhr makes a 6 mil (20.6 MOA) mount that is awesome. Mile High Shooting is where I get them.

Weight is not to big of a concern. The rifle weights about 20lbs on the bathroom scale.I believe I have a 26lb weight limit. I had actually thought about gaining 4lb. That would give me 2lb to play with. Just incase my wife has recalibrated the scales to make herself feel better...🤫😁

Buy an MDT MOA base....20- 60 moa available under 100.00 Canadian
.(..that's........about 2.00 U.S. 😊)

The action I use has a 20moa. I picked up a few 20moa, 40moa, 60moa bases several years ago when I was using 700LA.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and experiences. The members of this forum have guided me to where I am today. From brass prep to shooting fundamentals, you guys have steered me in the right direction.

Looking at this stuff makes me think of myself as a relatively minor-league long-range shooter. This is how I fixed up one of my .22-.250's for longer ranges. The scope is a 1-inch tube, mil-rad type Leupold with limited elevation range. OK for 1000 plus with 75 ELDM's. Burris 30mm SIG rings will extend range with 20MOA base.

IMG_1860.JPG

Recent Posts