Actual difference between 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x55 with RELOADS??

i have read many threads comparing the two, but everyone always talks about how the 6.5x55 has more room in the case than the factory loads have loaded due to needing to be safe for old guns.
However I can't ever find any info on what the calibers will do with a 140 when they are maxed out.
Basically, I am going to order a Tikka tomorrow and I can get the gun I want three different ways.....
6.6x55 with a 22.5 inch barrel
6.5 creedmoor with a 22.5 inch barrel
Or last a 6.5 creedmoor with a 24.5 inch barrel.
Personally I like the idea of 22.5 inch barrel but not sure if I'll lose much speed with the shorter barreled guns. Since I will be reloading, I'm not concerned about factory ammo.

I would say it might be the powder they are using. Powder might be faster burning so less powder = more room left in case.

Depending on what range you're shooting - that 100fps could mean the difference between a shot you can effectively take (with practice) and one you cannot because of impact velocities.
Perhaps, but if you're using either to maximum energy, buy a bigger gun. Wind and shot placement will play a bigger role than down range energy

I think the 6.5 x 55 Swede inspired the Creedmore!
3E1DDCF1-4F5B-44C8-8C74-9F9CEB40043F.jpeg

I had my T3 6.5x55 converted to 6.5 SAUM, never looked back.Rechamber and opened up the bolt face, new mag and off shooting.
The Swede is a sentimental favourite though !

I have had a couple 6.5x55s with 22" barrels Regardless of powder neither would push 140s over 2800. Both of my Creedmoors would get the same velocity with the same bullets. One Creedmoor was 22 the other 24. I have seen reports from many using 30"+ barrels with the 6.5x55 pushing 3k but I have never been impressed. Either cartridge will be very accurate in the right rifle. If it were me I would go Creedmoor. If you are looking for velocity take a look at the 6.5x284.
I have a cz 6.5x55 it is a tack driver with 140 accubonds. I find that there is no need for more speed then the nosler reloading manual shows, actually with max loads on most 6.5's accuracy begins to decrease. One thing about the 6.5 x 55 and 140 grain accubonds is that on most of my elk the bullet will exit. I tend to use my cz more on elk then my faithful sako 85 7mm rem.

i have read many threads comparing the two, but everyone always talks about how the 6.5x55 has more room in the case than the factory loads have loaded due to needing to be safe for old guns.
However I can't ever find any info on what the calibers will do with a 140 when they are maxed out.
Basically, I am going to order a Tikka tomorrow and I can get the gun I want three different ways.....
6.6x55 with a 22.5 inch barrel
6.5 creedmoor with a 22.5 inch barrel
Or last a 6.5 creedmoor with a 24.5 inch barrel.
Personally I like the idea of 22.5 inch barrel but not sure if I'll lose much speed with the shorter barreled guns. Since I will be reloading, I'm not concerned about factory ammo.
Like so many new cartridges the 6.5 Creedmoor is reinventing the wheel so to speak. 6.5 x 55 has plenty of case capacity with the correct powder to out perform creedmoor.

I have a cz 6.5x55 it is a tack driver with 140 accubonds. I find that there is no need for more speed then the nosler reloading manual shows, actually with max loads on most 6.5's accuracy begins to decrease. One thing about the 6.5 x 55 and 140 grain accubonds is that on most of my elk the bullet will exit. I tend to use my cz more on elk then my faithful sako 85 7mm rem.

I built a 6.5 x 284. It is an awesome round. Killed lots of elk with 140 grain bullets. The only thing I do not like is the price of the brass. I have a P17 enfield action in the garage so the next 6.5 project will be a 6.5 x 06 AI

I have always been impressed with the Sweede, starting with a 100 year old engineers carbine that shoots a lot better than it should. The Tikka lite has never let me down and is one sweet handling rifle! I have a Grendel only because I like the CZ 527 platform.
The debate between the Sweede and CM is a lot simpler than most people make it.
If you have a short action mag fed gun and don't reload the CM has a big advantage.
If you have a long action and reload the advantage goes to the Sweede. A longer barrel helps more in the Sweede case too
If I was to get an AR10 it would be in or converted to CM
All this from a guy that has had 4 6.5x284s that just didn't work....and I really wanted them to??
Sorry for the rambling, I just find the CM fan club a little comical at times.

Loaded to its potential, the 6.5x55 is closer to the 6.5-284 than it is to the Creedmoor. But, for that to be true, it must be used in an intermediate to long action and the person loading it has to have the experience (and the stones) to ignore published data and treat it like a wildcat cartridge.

What the Creed has going for it is quality, availability and uniformity of specs in components and reamers. What other 6.5 can claim all three?

There isn't enough difference ballistically between the Creed, the 260, or the 6.5x55 or the 6.5x47 Lapua to even really discuss.

The Tikka' in 6.5 carries an 8 twist barrel, it would be able to handle most bullets except for the heavy for bore vlds.

I have a Sako AV in 6.5x55. it has a 22.5" barrel.
I am getting around 2750 fps with the old Hornady AMAX behind 47 grains of AR2209 (H4350) with Lapua cases
With the 129 grain Nosler Accubond LR I am getting an average of 2985fps behind 47 grains of Reloder 17 with Winchester cases.
These loads are safe in my rifle with no pressure signs & may not be safe in other rifles.
With the 6.5x55, in my experience, 2700 to 2750 fps is realistically obtainable with this barrel length & a 140 grain projectile at safe pressure levels.

Tikka in 6.5X55 is one of the best rifles I've ever owned. I haven't shot a Creedmoor much, but when I chronoed them, I was getting consistently 75-120 fps more with the Swede with various 140 grain bullets. I love the 6.5X55. ETA the Tikka is usiing a long action set=up on the Swede.
My son jsut purchased a Creedmore - would not take the advice from Dad who gets less than .200" groups with 4350 and neck tuned Lapua brass following the loads I listed earlier. He gave up on hitting an elk in the "boler room" with his Crred and went back to his old standby.
Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.