Difference between 4831sc and RE22

I just fired a .97" center to center 200 yard 3 shot group with my 7stw today including the cold bore shot with 77.0 rl22 and a 140 sierra lit by a 215. 85 degrees outside today; I've shot this since Easter at about 40 degrees and it was .5 to .6" at 100 then. I don't know the speed since the chrono wasn't liking the evening light when I had it out with this rifle, but I'd think 3300 fps or so.

4831sc=consistancy
R22=speed
Only a cronagraph and a target will know the difference:D
Life has been so much easier since I quit chaseing speed= With 4831sc and a large lot of Retumbo the 6.5-284, 7mag, 7WSM and 338 Edge are a LOT easier to get first round hits.
Ya I may have to back off of max loads to get H4831sc and Retumbo tuned but once tuned it stays that way.
With Reloader powders it seams you have to tune for 20 degree temp changes and most loads like to be close to max.....A max load @ 50degrees can will and does create problems if the round cooks in the chamber, sits in the sun, comes out of an inside pocket.............

This has been similar to my experience as well. A few years ago I ran RL22 in my 300Wby under 180 Barnes TSX's. It was very accurate and consistent when used in cool conditions. I worked up the load during fall which was around 55 degrees at sea level. One hot summer day I decided to take it up and bust rocks. Temp was around 90 degrees and elevation was 2000. I could not hit the broad side of a barn at 1000 yards. Keep in mind this was normally a .5MOA load at that distance. I brought it into about 400 yards and the best it would print was 3-4 MOA all around the rock I was shooting at. This is when I got a first hand education on temp sensitivity with gun powder. Shortly after I switched to H1000 and have been able to do everything with it that I could with RL22 without the crazy poi changes and accuracy loss with temp swings. The H1000 has lent itself to much better ES numbers in my rifle as well. Anything I load for now I try and use a Hodgdon extreme powder for.

I just fired a .97" center to center 200 yard 3 shot group with my 7stw today including the cold bore shot with 77.0 rl22 and a 140 sierra lit by a 215. 85 degrees outside today; I've shot this since Easter at about 40 degrees and it was .5 to .6" at 100 then. I don't know the speed since the chrono wasn't liking the evening light when I had it out with this rifle, but I'd think 3300 fps or so.

I for one am not doubting your results Lefty, the first lot of R22 I tryed was like magic=very fast and very accurate(under 90deg) in the 6-284, 7mag and 300WM The last 3 lot #s however have been very irratic, groups all over the place with no consistancy irregardless of temp??? Have had no luck with R25. R19 has workt in a couple of loads BUT not in the heat of a dogtown!!
Lifes too short and there are too many rounds to deal with for me to mess with Reloader powders, I'll gladly give up a few feet per second for a first round hit:D

I've heard of poor results with rl powders for certain lot numbers, but I've never been there myself. I do buy 5# "kegs" so that's probably a lot of the reason I don't notice it. I'm not buying a 1# container every time I want to load.

4831sc=consistancy
R22=speed
Only a cronagraph and a target will know the difference:D
Life has been so much easier since I quit chaseing speed= With 4831sc and a large lot of Retumbo the 6.5-284, 7mag, 7WSM and 338 Edge are a LOT easier to get first round hits.
Ya I may have to back off of max loads to get H4831sc and Retumbo tuned but once tuned it stays that way.
With Reloader powders it seams you have to tune for 20 degree temp changes and most loads like to be close to max.....A max load @ 50degrees can will and does create problems if the round cooks in the chamber, sits in the sun, comes out of an inside pocket.............

This is what I was hoping somwone would say. I would gladly give up fps, for a more consistant round. Just got my bullets in the mail, and I will run up a load for R22, H1000, and compare it to my 4831sc. It is going to be hot today, so I would assume, what ever the reulsts are today, they would only have the potential to get better when the weather cools down a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts