Actual difference between 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x55 with RELOADS??

Elkwonder

i have read many threads comparing the two, but everyone always talks about how the 6.5x55 has more room in the case than the factory loads have loaded due to needing to be safe for old guns.
However I can't ever find any info on what the calibers will do with a 140 when they are maxed out.
Basically, I am going to order a Tikka tomorrow and I can get the gun I want three different ways.....
6.6x55 with a 22.5 inch barrel
6.5 creedmoor with a 22.5 inch barrel
Or last a 6.5 creedmoor with a 24.5 inch barrel.
Personally I like the idea of 22.5 inch barrel but not sure if I'll lose much speed with the shorter barreled guns. Since I will be reloading, I'm not concerned about factory ammo.

This may not apply, and is the "I know a guy" thing, but there is a guy I know shooting 140 Hybrid's in a 6.5x55 using H1000 at 3155 fps....however, he has a 32" barrel, so.....

My father has a 24" 6.5x55, and using imr7828, he is getting 2855 with a 24" barrel. He would certainly get more velocity with something like Reloder 26 or some other powder, I would estimate 2950 fps or better guessing from my experiences, but it is stupid accurate. The two will be close, I know the 6.5x55 brass from Lapua is pretty stinkin cheap....and it's a classic. Between the two, 6.5x55 would be my choice, has more powder capacity and it's just a cooler cartridge imho. As long as the tikka 6.5x55 is on the long action. If they are trying to stuff the 6.5x55 in a short action, forget it, and go with the creed.

Tikka in 6.5X55 is one of the best rifles I've ever owned. I haven't shot a Creedmoor much, but when I chronoed them, I was getting consistently 75-120 fps more with the Swede with various 140 grain bullets. I love the 6.5X55. ETA the Tikka is usiing a long action set=up on the Swede.

I have a 22in Creed and a 20.5 in Swede. With RL26 I shoot the 140s at 2850 out of both of them. I could push them both a little faster, but accuracy fell off.

They're not even really on the same planet if you pick the right powder. There's 10+ grains of powder capacity advantage on the Swede. My coach and I shoot a R700 chambered in 6.5x55 in metallic silhouette competition. We're running 140's over 2900fps without pressure signs.

2700fps is starting to get really stout with 140gn class in a 6.5CM.

2900+/- for 140gn class bullets in a modern rifle loaded to modern pressures for 6.5x55mm. RL-26, N165 and similar super slow burning magnum rifle powders turn in the best velocities.

Go to an Ackley chamber and you're starting to see the performance of a belted magnum.

I have had a couple 6.5x55s with 22" barrels Regardless of powder neither would push 140s over 2800. Both of my Creedmoors would get the same velocity with the same bullets. One Creedmoor was 22 the other 24. I have seen reports from many using 30"+ barrels with the 6.5x55 pushing 3k but I have never been impressed. Either cartridge will be very accurate in the right rifle. If it were me I would go Creedmoor. If you are looking for velocity take a look at the 6.5x284.

Yeah the gun I'm looking at is tikka and they don't make the 6.5x284 unfortunately. I plan on getting the rifle and slapping a manners stock on it and calling it a day. If by some odd chance, it's not a shooter, I'll sale it and by another one and slap it in the same manners stock. No way I'll buy two tikkas in a row without getting a good shooter.

On another note, how is barrel life in the 6.5 creedmoor compared to the 6.5x55? Thanks in advance

One of my 6.5x55s and one of my Creedmoors were Tikkas. I would get the Creedmoor. Barrel life is heavily dependent on how you shoot it but I would guess well over 1500.

Barrel life on the creed would be around 2000-2500 or so. On the swede, it'll be under 2000 if you're running them snotty like I do.

I am constantly searching and looking for different calibers as many folks do. If it were me, I would pick the 6.5x55 and then have it reamed for an A.I.
There are some great threads on this site if you do a search.

I have no experience with the 6.5x55. I can only share my experience with the 6.5 creedmoor which has been quite extensive. Having shot thousands of 6.5 creed and developing loads for 4 different rifles you can expect to shoot 140s at 2800-2850 with what I would consider normal 6.5 creed powders(h4350, rl-17 etc.). With rl-26 you could expect 2900-2950. My personal creed is a 26in and I've developed loads and chromed loads for a 22in, two 24in, and my 26in.

I just can not see getting those velocities you guys are describing in a 22" barrel. Mine would not even come close as I already stated. I guess I will say even if it is possible I would defiantly not expect it. It could lead to disappointment. I know the creed will do it because I have done it in multiple rifles. As far as Tikka actions they only make one length. They do make different magazines and have two different bolt stops.

The Tikka' in 6.5 carries an 8 twist barrel, it would be able to handle most bullets except for the heavy for bore vlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.