Action screws coming loose?

I had a Weatherby Vanguard with the same problem, the guard screws would loosen. It was in a B&C Medalist stock, with the aluminum bedding block, so it wasn't crushing. Metric screws. Used a bit of 'Blue", small screw Loc-Tite on 'um.

Starting to wonder if the action screws are coming loose on this Rem 700 BDL synthetic stock. I have glass bedded it but every time I check the screws they seems loose? Should I blue Locktite them? Something else? Wondering if this is my accuracy robber?
I have heavy thumpers ie. 300 Lapua mag,7mmRUM,338WM and so on never have I had an issue of action screws loosening. Torque is the answer. There is a reason mechanists have high dollar torque wrenches

I've used two different loctite products on action screws. If the rifle has allen screws I use the red loctite in a tube. Very controllable. The other is Loctite Vibra-tite. It's similar in strength to the red. I've been using the red (tube version) for years. Don't slather is on. Place some on the first 3 to 4 threads on one "side" of the screws (the ones you can see).

Have never stuck one and the screws pop lightly when they are loosened.

What does your glass bedding job look like? Curious if you floated the barrel, and if so where does the bedding end in reference to where the barrel is floated. I have gotten good performance with floating the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug out.
I bedded about 1" in front of the lug all the way to back of action. Very nice super smooth hard feeling bedding.
All of barrel is free floated from 1" in front of the lug on up.

I have heavy thumpers ie. 300 Lapua mag,7mmRUM,338WM and so on never have I had an issue of action screws loosening. Torque is the answer. There is a reason mechanists have high dollar torque wrenches
Yep. That is why I broke down and bought an inch wrench. I had a big torque wrench for motor assembly and such.
I was way off on what I thought was tight enough. Gonna keep experimenting….little at a time.

Even torqued , those M6 x 1mm Weatherby guard screws would 'shoot loose'. Could have been a compounding/'stacking' of tolerances , 'cause I haven't seen that problem on other Howa/Weatherby Vanguards.

Last edited:
I bedded about 1" in front of the lug all the way to back of action. Very nice super smooth hard feeling bedding.
All of barrel is free floated from 1" in front of the lug on up.

Those "plastic" stocks need about .030+ in clearance on either side of the channel. The forends are kind of floppy. If you can squeeze the barrel and forend so they touch you need more clearance .040+. I also use Marine Tex and bed 2.25-2.50" in front of the lug.

Hope it helps.

BTW electrical tape measures about .005", four wraps is .020, etc. Not a perfect number but very close. Use it for spacing and relief of the forend.

Last edited: