Action length for a 6mm AI

Mild Bill

I have gotten the itch to look into getting a Rem 700 built into a 6mm Ackley for thumping coyotes with.

will this work nicely in a short action or would I be better off with a long action.

At this time I am thinking I would like to push bullets in the 80 grain to 95 grain weight range.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had a 6 AI in a short action 700. It was a single shot and it shot 107's great @ 3200 fps. The OAL for the 107 was 3.100, if I had to eject a loaded round I had to take the bolt out. If I were to do another one I would do a long action and for coyotes it would be the 105 A-MAX. I would not hesitate to whack a coyote at 1K with this combo. Under 600 a 95 would be my choice.

I recently installed a Wyatts' extended mag box on a short action Remington chambered in 6mm AI. The owner provided me with 4 uncharged rounds with 87g. V-Max to his OAL. Extended mag box is full! Not another .010" to spare. So that's not the 'cure' for the short action unless you don't plan on shooting anything heavier. Long action mag box may need to be 'blocked' so the loaded rounds maintain position for proper feeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.