260 AI barrel length for a light gun

That's some pretty depressing stuff. I too am looking at 22-24" max options in the 6.5 mm class for a hunting-target type rig and I'm already getting 2765 fps out of a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor using Varget and 140"s < .5 moa out to 500 yards. I'm thinking with faster burning powder's to accommodate for loss of burn distance a lot better speeds more accurately than that just mentioned.

That's part of what I'm getting at I guess. You'll reach mentioned velocities in short barrels with a 6.5x47L or Creedmore. In no way does it make sense to go larger in capacity than this, for barrels that are too short for it. You can't just go faster in powder without dropping load density, and accuracy will suffer there. Also, barrel life will be lower -for nothing gained.
Going 260AI with a short barrel & can is just a bad plan, while there are many better options.

That's part of what I'm getting at I guess. You'll reach mentioned velocities in short barrels with a 6.5x47L or Creedmore. In no way does it make sense to go larger in capacity than this, for barrels that are too short for it. You can't just go faster in powder without dropping load density, and accuracy will suffer there. Also, barrel life will be lower -for nothing gained.
Going 260AI with a short barrel & can is just a bad plan, while there are many better options.

+1.
I'll also add that with a 260ai and a short barrel you run the serious possibility of destroying said can in a big hurry.

Hi, I run a xp100 pistol in 6.5x284 in 16.5" barrel. I'm getting 120ttsx bullets going 2850 with ww760. Also 100ttsx bullets going 3150fps with ww760. Both group about .4 at 100yd

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.