6mm ai too long for savage short action?

tbrice23

As the title says...
I'd really like to build a 6mm ai for a savage M10 short action build. My savage SA magazine has roughly 3.10" or so inside and im afraid that I'll rum out of room once with VLDs once throat erosion sets in .
Can anyone give me a length seated to the land with a VLD (even a regular 6mm rem. would work).
My back up plan is to just go with 243ai and have the worry.

Any input from savage owners is appreciated.

Run the .243 AI, will lose little in performance and will gain a more efficient case, brass is easier to find and better for the .243 parent case. The .243 AI will also function without a doubt in a short action. gun)

The 6mm crusader was designed to run a 115 DTAC at 3150 in the acis mags. Basically a 30 degree 6mm improved.

The 6mm crusader was designed to run a 115 DTAC at 3150 in the acis mags. Basically a 30 degree 6mm improved.

No offense, but don't really see the point in this cartridge. A .243 AI will be right on the heals of this round with a 115 and components and reloading for it is a heck of a lot easier.

I will check my notes I can not remember off the top of my head, but I think you will be ok for up to 105 amax with 3.10" magazine. If I remember right I hit the lands at around 2.98" with the 105 amax. Now it is a coyote rig and I shoot the 75 vmax @ 3780 fps been shooting the vmax load for about 4 years.

No offense, but don't really see the point in this cartridge. A .243 AI will be right on the heals of this round with a 115 and components and reloading for it is a heck of a lot easier.
You can run the crusader up to 3300 with a 115. At 3150 you will get alot more barrel life than a 243ai due to lower pressure and longer neck.
Quaility brass or any brass for that matter is much easier to acquire for the 243.

tbrice23

I'm running the 6mm Rem in a custom rifle built on a Sako short action. I also have several Savage short actions. I just stuck the 6mm ammo I have in one of the short action Savage box mags and it looks like it fits fine. This ammo is loaded with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX at a COAL of 2.9". However, VLDs seated out to the lands might blow past the 3.1". Nevertheless I wouldn't give up on the 6mm versus the 243 as the 6mm is rated to 65,000 psi versus 60,000 psi for the 243 Win and with more room in the case the 6mm is more versatile, kind of like the 30-06 versus the 308 Win.

tbrice23

I'm running the 6mm Rem in a custom rifle built on a Sako short action. I also have several Savage short actions. I just stuck the 6mm ammo I have in one of the short action Savage box mags and it looks like it fits fine. This ammo is loaded with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX at a COAL of 2.9". However, VLDs seated out to the lands might blow past the 3.1". Nevertheless I wouldn't give up on the 6mm versus the 243 as the 6mm is rated to 65,000 psi versus 60,000 psi for the 243 Win and with more room in the case the 6mm is more versatile, kind of like the 30-06 versus the 308 Win.
Is there any way you could stick a 105 gr Vld or hybrid in a fired case to the bearing surface is at the shoulder junction and measure how much room is left? Please

Run the .243 AI, will lose little in performance and will gain a more efficient case, brass is easier to find and better for the .243 parent case. The .243 AI will also function without a doubt in a short action. gun)
Whats your load , twist and velocity ?
Im considering an 8 twist by the way. But would love to run 95gr vld also.

tbrice23

I don't have any VLDs in 6mm so can't comply though I would if I had the bullets.
Thanks anyway. might be S.O.L. on this.
I was thinking about changing my bolt face and making it a 6mm 300wsm however they run WSMs in a large shank for a reason!

tbrice23

The Savage short action that I tried the 6mm ammo in is actually a 22-250 model 12 that I converted to a 7mm WSM with a 26" varmit contour Brux barrel and it works just fine with a small shank. It shoots 0.5 MOA running the 180 Bergers at 2,950 fps.

tbrice23

The Savage short action that I tried the 6mm ammo in is actually a 22-250 model 12 that I converted to a 7mm WSM with a 26" varmit contour Brux barrel and it works just fine with a small shank. It shoots 0.5 MOA running the 180 Bergers at 2,950 fps.
Thats good news. Did you keep the barrel nut or go Remington with it? Im sure you kept the nut but i expect it would handle pressure better without the nut.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.