Action fluting/scalloping/thinning

ntsqd

Tried a search and didn't find anything on this. Build is a Howa Mini LW bbl in 7.62X39, goal is under 5 lbs. scoped and slung. Probably not going to get there, but that's the goal. Obviously not a LR precision rifle, more of a CA A Zone "Hiking up steep hills with a rifle" sub 300 yd. rifle. Not a lot to work with in this tiny action, but it already has a hollowed-out Boyd's on it (forearm shortened ~2" for esthetics), Leupold 2-7x LW in Talley AL mounts, and Ti action screws because I could (https://monsterbolts.com/products/6...orx-button-head-caps-screws-iso-7380-din-9427). It's at about 6.5 lbs. now, which is why I doubt that I'll reach 5 lbs.

The barrel is a pretty light profile now and as best as I can infer is the original design length for the cartridge. I'm more than a little hesitant to flute it, but I know I could find another couple ounces by doing so. Same with shortening it except that's just not going to happen as I like the esthetic balance of barrel length to forearm length that I have now.

However, There is some meat in the action that I suspect could be fluted/scalloped/thinned w/o grossly affecting the action's rigidity. Obviously the front bridge is off limits. As is the scope mount region of the rear bridge. What about the sides of the rear bridge? What about the squared-off flat belly of this action where there isn't a pocket for the mag? It is about to get pillered so I don't need that flat belly. Anyone done this sort of thing or had it done? I'm down to a war of ounces, a little here, a little there, etc. I have kidded about thru drilling those Ti action bolts......

Weighed the much-modified Boyd's laminated stock last night late; 2.1 lbs. Whole rifle is 6.4 lbs. less any sling or studs. That's really not all that bad, I just want to see if I can get it lighter. The back-story behind this rifle speculated that it could be 5 lbs., so that's my goal.

Was just made aware of this new stock for the Howa Mini's:
https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1139 Says it weighs "about 2.0 lbs." Shoot, I'm already there with the hollowed out Boyd's laminate.

Last edited:
Twisted barrel, Kampfeld custom can both skeletonize actions along with fluting and Skeltonizing bolts.

I would get in touch with one of them!

And, having used Karl to do multiple bolts and action work for me, I can say with 100% confidence, Karl Kampfeld does excellent work and is a he11 of a nice guy. His turn around time is crazy fast, too.

I can't speak for the Howa but awhile back I asked Karl how much weight could be shaved off a Rem 700 and he was quite honest about it and said it's a very minimal weight savings and more about aesthetics, than it is true weight savings.

Manners EH4 will weigh in at 1lb 10oz with only aluminum pillar bedding. Don't go crazy and get the Gen 2 mini chassis or anything. That will shave 7-8 oz right there.
Or the new Ultimate Classic @ 17-19oz total weight. Shaves almost a full pound off.

If you have bottom metal, you can do an ADL type stock and lose the bottom metal weight.

Flute bolt -1oz
Not sure if an alloy bolt shroud is an option in your action, but that would shave -2oz Or you could shave it down to lose 1oz.
Skeletonize bolt handle -1oz
Fluting the small profile barrel might shave 2-4oz.
Cutting a couple inches off barrel length will shave 4-6oz and with it being a 300yd max rifle in 7.62x39, won't be too detrimental to any speed that would be required.

Depending on scope choice, if you go with something like a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 @ 11.1oz, that is very minimal weight. Don't think you need more than 7x for 300 yard shots on deer/hog sized game.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've contacted both Twisted & Kampfeld.

Marty Kolbet @ Twisted Barrel put me onto MPI stocks, so I've sent them an inquiry as well. If they can make a stock to fit the Howa Mini that alone could put it under the 5 lbs. goal. Then it might be interesting to see just how light it can go w/o getting too crazy (like thru drilling those Ti action screws).

I just looked at the Manners page and they don't list the EH4 to fit the Howa Mini, so I've asked them about fitment.

The bolt is tiny, I'll guess about .600" body OD. I keep forgetting to measure it. Fluting it doesn't seem like a good idea, even if someone's bolt fluting tooling can hold it. Anything dedicated to a Rem sized bolt body isn't going to work.

Howa Mini bottom 'metal' is polymer. As it happens I have the dip aluminum bottom metal for the rifle, just haven't decided whether to use it or not. An ADL type bottom metal, heck even a BDL type bottom metal would be great. I've not found such for the Howa Mini, only the DBM that it comes with and variations on that same theme.

Already have a now discontinued Leupold Ultralight 2-7X (8.5 oz according to them) in Talley AL mounts (4.0 oz according to them). Rifle currently weighs 6.4 lbs., stock is 2.1 lbs. according to my scale. I am running at the bottom edge of my scale's range, so that it might be off by a bit wouldn't surprise me.

For a visual, that is a 1" scope tube, note the relative sizes of everything else. These things are tiny.
i-QGdWCr5-M.jpg

EDIT: Just heard back from Manners, they do not inlet for the Howa Mini.

Last edited:
I looked into removing as much excess material from a Howa action. Didn't follow through on it but there is quite a bit of material that could be shaved. Probably 2 - 3 oz. with slabing the sides and removing the square corners on the bottom side. Would be a bit of machining so you may not like the cost there. To get 5 lbs, you will need the shortest barrel you can stand with the smallest contour. And yes, MPI or wildcat composite stock in the smallest form they make. I bet the MPI micro stock would end up at 15 oz or less finished.

Karl did this for me on a Remington 700 SSDBM

Fluted barrel
Fluted bolt
Skeletonized bolt
Cerakote
Bedded Manners Stock

First class work in my opinion and just awesome to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_20160311_140222005.jpg
    IMG_20160311_140222005.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160311_140254092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160311_140254092_HDR.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20160311_140324531_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160311_140324531_HDR.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 173
Nice work! Is it better to call Kampfeld?

I've set the barrel length at 20", which admittedly is contrary to the goal, but it still has to perform as a hunting rifle too. That is the barrel length of the original rifle produced in this caliber and anecdotally I find this cartridge performs better with it than in a 16" barrel. One might think that I'm enamored with this chambering as I just realized that I have it in 16", 18" and 20". The barrel is Howa's "LW' profile.

I would call Karl directly. I also agree with the other posts. Going from an HS Precision stock to Manners saved most of my weight. I did the other stuff mostly because it looked great. I wonder if you could have Karl do custom inletting?

If you do give him a call, ask if he does lightening cuts on receivers?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.