ACOG BDC question

vendetta333

i know that the 6x ACOG calibrated for 7.62's BDC reticle is based on 147gr. 7.62 NATO ball ammo. my two question is; what barrel length are the nato published velocities from? second, if im considering buliding a 16" .308 (higher pressure as most know) to shoot moly'd 15gr x bullets (actually the lazeronis come that way but essentially the same thing), how much variation would i get from the bdc hold points? would it even be worth it to go with the acog? thanx for all info. :)

i know that the 6x ACOG calibrated for 7.62's BDC reticle is based on 147gr. 7.62 NATO ball ammo. my two question is; what barrel length are the nato published velocities from? second, if im considering buliding a 16" .308 (higher pressure as most know) to shoot moly'd 15gr x bullets (actually the lazeronis come that way but essentially the same thing), how much variation would i get from the bdc hold points? would it even be worth it to go with the acog? thanx for all info. :)

If you already have it we can work with it and I will explain. If you don't own it I would consider a 1-8 variable in its place like the bushnell HDMR etc lots of choices.

so you're saying that they'd probably be pretty far off?

Its a crap shoot chances are not good past 300m, its not a precision optic that's not what it was designed to be. But we can make it work it will just not work 100% as designed.

The lines are 19" wide(the average of a mans shoulders) this is how the scope is used for ranging. So if the rounds are not matched to the stada lines in the optic and you range 600m and hold 600m you may be high or low. Unless you use the BDC with a range finder and ignore the numbers to the left of the line.

You will then need to do one of two things, shoot the drops and record the data (dope) or take measurements. To take measurements you will need a 100m range and a meter stick

Tape the meter stick to your target at 100m and record the measurements between the stada lines. Then enter all info into a ballistics program.

ACOG BDC reticle measurements - M4Carbine.net Forums

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.