Accuracy: Tale of Two New Model 70s

Like to add to everyone mentioning barrel contact... i bet that stock is pushing on the barrel. You MIGHT be able to do a "quick fix" by putting something down inside stock / under action to shim it higher (like cardboard stock from a cereal box), if you can shim front and rear equally, not put a bunch of unequal load / bending force on it, and if the barrel is now not touching the dtock, it -might- just shoot better (if it does, then it indicates rifle needs a good bedding job done and barrel channel clearanced as necessary). Thats achange that could be easily undone too if you wanted to explore warranty options

Also! Check the crown! Could have a big nick / burr / cleaning damage.... or just be uneven

Bad crown will destroy accuracy!

One other thing, it could be scope / mount issue. If it comes down to it swap everything over from good shooting rifle. Make sure everything is tight, make sure mounting surfaces are clean (no crap caught in between, making mount want to rock around). Make sure that the scope mount bases arent putting a lot of bending moment on the scope by pointing in different directions.

All of this wild shooting could simply be a loose scope mount, or a bad scope. Or hell, could be a too long front scope mount screw hanging down far enough inside front ring to make light contact w upper bolt lug when locked into battery (thats a super oddball / rare condition... but can cause wild shots... that will make everyone pull their hair out trying to find... again, rare, but i remember things like that as stuff to try / think about if you start running out of options / have tried everything else...)

And, ill echo what was said earlier about pencil weight barrel. Could just be moving while hot (which could be due to / influenced by bedding, or could be a bunch of internal stress literally hammered into barrel). Id try bringing rifle to range w something else, and shooting one round at a time w like 5 minutes between every shot.. just to see how that goes

One final thing, if you had bore scope, would be interesting to start w clean barrel, scope it, start shooting, and check barrel after a few shots. Could have rough / defective spot in barrel that picks up a ton of fouling... could be anywhere in barrel but id be looking particularly at the first and last inch or two.

Wow, didnt intend to write a book, just kinda came out :)

If it were me, i might start w the barrel scope if the barrel is in fouled (shot) condition, just because that only takes a few minutes, but i have a borescpe / wouldnt buy one just for this reason. Id try to check crown if you have any way to see it w magnification (again, fast easy). Then id be looking at bedding, scope / mount

Whatever happens, best of luck to you, and let us know if you figure it out!
IridiumRed, Thank you for the detailed diagnostic checklist! I'm on it! Don't own a bore scope, but I'll investigate getting one.

BTW I used a pro scope mounting kit on the mount. Pointy ends of the bars touched nicely between front and rear rings. I'll check the mounts for tightness. Brand new Leupold VX3, odds are that should not be the problem.

IridiumRed, Thank you for the detailed diagnostic checklist! I'm on it! Don't own a bore scope, but I'll investigate getting one.

BTW I used a pro scope mounting kit on the mount. Pointy ends of the bars touched nicely between front and rear rings. I'll check the mounts for tightness. Brand new Leupold VX3, odds are that should not be the problem.
Well, i just hope what i said was useful, helps you narrow down and solve your issue... and maybe helps someone else too.

I am CONSTANTLY reading various forums, but i just dont post much. Every once in a while i see something where i feel like i can actually maybe make a difference and i give it a go. I do tend to write books.

For borescopes, ive got a couple teslong models, for rifles i use a 26" rigid model, uses USB-C connector to connect to my smartphone (samsung galaxy), and the smartphone acts as the screen so you can view / take phitos / take video. Really was a game changer when it comes to cleaning and working on guns. Having that tech become affordable is kinda amazing (the long 26" was $99, have a shorter version i find handy for handguns or just looking at rifle throats / muzzles that was $49).

A few things ill mention - i got the corded versions (im still kind of old fashioned about things sometimes, been fighting the cordless everything trend), but i think they make wireless / bluetooth versions, and that might have been handy. Found the USB connectors werent the greatest, would sometimes loose connection if cord was moved in wrong way.... and as you move the cam in and out of bore, the cord does move.

Also, half the time im using a borescope, im cleaning a rifle, and so i have cleaning products all over my hands (i wear nitrile gloves to keep those chemicals off me, and most importantly OUT of me - if it gets on your skin, many of those things go THRU your skin... and youre dealing w heavy metals like lead and some other toxic products that simply arent good for you). I just wear gloves and dont eat or smoke while cleaning and im totally comfortable. But, i dont like handling my phone w gloves covered in chemicals bc i dont want to put wear and tear on phone cleaning it later.... hence, i should have gotten wireless versions of borescopes. Oh well, live and learn... and its not a huge deal

BY tge way - i will warn you right now, borescopes are a door you can walk thru but never go back from! If you havent used one, its just incredible wgat you can see. Just be pepared to be shocked!! Take a rifle thats gkt good barrel on it, youve had since new, only shot a few hundred rounds thru it, always been meticulous about cleaning... and looks great when you look down the bore by eye ...and run a borescope down it... and youd THINK youre looking at an old beat up *** that was on its last legs. Streaks of copper, carbon, maybe some cracking in the throat (depending on how intense the cartridge is and how much rapid fire you do)... little scratches, etc. And thats a GOOD barrel. Anything south of that condition wise looks worse

Just wanted to warn you about that. Cant unsee things. Also, when you order borescopes order more cleaning products, bc youll probably find yourself doing a lot more cleaning soon. Consider using separate carbon and copper remover if you dont already. Can find you have a lot more of one then the other.. and i think the separate cleaners work better. Not going to say what i use here, so many different options of cleaners out there, and even more opinions, dont need to derail thread by opening the can of worms of what cleaners are best :)

Oh yeah, before using a borescope go watch some videos online of other people doing the same, will prepare you (some) for what youre going to see. And what to look for potentially

Anyways! Ill shut up for now. Good luck with your rifle :)

IridiumRed,

I've been traveling, so haven't been able to inspect the crown or bore yet. You mentioned barrel and lug interference. Wouldn't that be a warranty issue on any premium rifles, wooden or synthetic as most rifles have a MOA guarantee these days?