Accuracy load for 308 Sako 85 Finnlight

Captainmorgan

Guys,

I am looking to develop a hunting load for my 308 Sako 85. I've tried every factory ammo I could buy with mixed results. Even with Federal gold medal match. Groups average 1-3" at 100 yards. Gun specs are suppose to be 1moa for 5 shot groups. I have a 7mm mag that shoots 1 hole groups at 100, so I think I'm capable of it.

The best accuracy I get is with factory Nosler trophy grade ammo in 150gr accubonds, but it is inconsistent. I get a few touching then it opens up in no particular order. Next thing you know the spread is a couple inches.

The scope is a nightforce shv. I swapped with another nightorce scope and it didn't help so I am ruling out the scope and mounts out. Everything is tight.

I'm using a lead sled and also tried a bean bag.

I need a starting point with powders, bullets and primers...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan of lead sleds. I load develop off of bipods and rear bag. But that's up to you
I'm suspicious that you might have to send that rifle back for warranty. 308s usually aren't real fussy on ammo.
To build a load I would use varget, but if you can't find it, h4895 works fine too.
Fed 210 primers.
nosler brass is usually pretty good stuff. Federal is pretty good brass too, so you probably have enough to get going.
I use 168eldm for my bullet of choice. Absolute murder on deer and coyotes.
Wish I could help more but that sako should shoot better than what you're describing.

Personally I'm not a fan of lead sleds. I load develop off of bipods and rear bag. But that's up to you
I'm suspicious that you might have to send that rifle back for warranty. 308s usually aren't real fussy on ammo.
To build a load I would use varget, but if you can't find it, h4895 works fine too.
Fed 210 primers.
nosler brass is usually pretty good stuff. Federal is pretty good brass too, so you probably have enough to get going.
I use 168eldm for my bullet of choice. Absolute murder on deer and coyotes.
Wish I could help more but that sako should shoot better than what you're describing.
Thank you !

Sako rifles and any rifle chambered for the .308 Win. have been relatively easy to develop loads for in my experience. But there are exceptions to every rule and occurrence.

I would ditch the lead sled. It is not conducive to load development no matter what the advertising states. Get a decent front rest and rear bag without beans, use sand. Work on your position at the bench, do not hunch over, do not crawl the stock. Get comfortable and at a point where you can relax.

There are 24 different variations for the Sako 85 rifle and you don't tell us which one you have. Wood stocks respond differently than synthetics. But in general, every stock should be stress-free bedded to some extent, Sako is no exception. Even on non-bedded rifles, it's rare to find any that won't shoot the Federal Gold Medal Match factory ammunition. I've fired some terrific groups when testing a new rifle using that same ammunition. This is another indicator that you need bedding or maybe a trip back to the factory...

With lighter bullets I usually use IMR-3031, IMR-8208 XBR or Norma N203B with the 8208 being the most accurate when used in combination with lighter bullets of 175 grains or less.

Good Luck with your testing!

I have loaded for .308 it has been the most forgiving round to load for after the .222 and 6ppc. I have had great results with varget I40964 and H4895. I would load .030 off the lands and use lapua brass , 210M or br-2 primers, and 155 or 168 grain bergers or 155 or 167 scenars. to start. but everything should shoot pretty good. I always shoot froma pedestal and a sand bag rear like benchrester shooters do. I have not used CFE a new powder.

If it don t shoot with either of those two loads sell it. if you can t find a bedding problem or optic problem

Put a 165 soft point over 42.0 gr of imr4895.
if it doesn't shoot that load, sell the rifle.
As far as the TAP being a bad huntiñg bullet...keep thát to yourself.
The deer here are unaware of it and continue to die.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.