Accuracy help on Savage 93R17

Nathan gravitt

Bought a used 93R17 off a member here and it won't shoot worth a crap.1 1/2 - 1 3/4 at 50 yards. Reached out to the guy and he basically said I was on my own. Sooo….
Factory 93R17 except the barrel has been threaded. Laminate thumbhole stock with action screws torqued to 15 inch pounds. (Also tried 20 with no luck). DIP pic rail torqued to 20 inch pounds and loctited. Leupold rings with Leupold VX-1 3x9x40. I pulled the scope off of another 93R17 so I know it's not the scope. Rings are lapped and loctited and torqued to 20 inch pounds. I checked to make sure the barrel was free floated and not touching anywhere. Typically I am a 3/4" MOA shooter. My other 93r17 in the same thumbhole stock will routinely shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have attached a picture of my set up. Front bipod and rear bag. The same set up I use on my other 93R17. It's supposed to only have 200 rounds on the barrel. I contacted the owner that had it before the guy that I bought it from. He said as he remembered it shot good. So I'm going to assume he just shot varmints with it and never shot it at paper. Tried two different flavors of cci's as as well as some Hornady's. So what am I missing?

Attachments

• 00D7C759-3B4A-4A25-8433-737CCF3AB5E6.jpeg
    00D7C759-3B4A-4A25-8433-737CCF3AB5E6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 254
  • 17CAE6C3-638E-4B3C-BFB4-0A3E6CF06EB6.jpeg
    17CAE6C3-638E-4B3C-BFB4-0A3E6CF06EB6.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 164
I go down that road with most guns but most have reasonable accuracy to begin with. In my mind something is clearly off with the barrel for its best group to shoot an inch and a half at 50 yards. My other savage 93 with six different ammos, the groups were almost indistinguishable at 50 yards because they were so close

I have two 93R17's. First one I bought was a blued bull barrel with wood stock. Shoots great for about 250 rounds then the groups start opening up. I only clean it with 3 or 4 pulls of a bore snake. The second one I bought from a friend because he couldn't get it to shoot. Pulled it apart for a good cleaning and the action wasn't fitting in the stock correctly. He had tried tightening the action screws and made it worse. After a little sanding on the stock action is an easy drop in. Also don't use a lot of torque on the screws. This one has a stainless barrel and likes to be clean to shoot well.

Bought a used 93R17 off a member here and it won't shoot worth a crap.1 1/2 - 1 3/4 at 50 yards. Reached out to the guy and he basically said I was on my own. Sooo….
Factory 93R17 except the barrel has been threaded. Laminate thumbhole stock with action screws torqued to 15 inch pounds. (Also tried 20 with no luck). DIP pic rail torqued to 20 inch pounds and loctited. Leupold rings with Leupold VX-1 3x9x40. I pulled the scope off of another 93R17 so I know it's not the scope. Rings are lapped and loctited and torqued to 20 inch pounds. I checked to make sure the barrel was free floated and not touching anywhere. Typically I am a 3/4" MOA shooter. My other 93r17 in the same thumbhole stock will routinely shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have attached a picture of my set up. Front bipod and rear bag. The same set up I use on my other 93R17. It's supposed to only have 200 rounds on the barrel. I contacted the owner that had it before the guy that I bought it from. He said as he remembered it shot good. So I'm going to assume he just shot varmints with it and never shot it at paper. Tried two different flavors of cci's as as well as some Hornady's. So what am I missing?
Got one. Love it. Extremely sensitive to parallax. I use 20 grains instead of 17 grain. It likes it better. (I also drilled it & threaded a stud in the foregrip for a bipod)

Check the hole in the muzzle cap to make sure it's big enough and check the pattern on the crown to make sure it looks even. Better yet, clean the crown with some bore cleaner and shoot 15-20 shots without any cap on the barrel..then check the crown. The pattern should look even all the way around. The pic is a centerfire, but you get the idea. BTW, that's an 8 groove barrel you're looking at.

Attachments

• FARM 034.jpg
    FARM 034.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
What gauge of shotgun is this? Maybe a new choke!😉