Savage 93R17 regular vs heavy barrel

theodore

Hi, I'm looking for the difference in accuracy between savage 17HMR standard barrel vs heavy barrel. Say if I shot 20 rounds in 2 minutes, would it be hot enough that I need to go with bull barrel to keep the accuracy?

I have the bull barrel thumbhole model in stainless and have a friend that has the light barreled model.

the accuracy difference is significant.
Mine will shoot between 3/4 and 1/2 inch at 100 and his probably shoots around 1.5 or so.

The bull barrel doesn't just help it stay cool longer, it improves barrel harmonics which in turn tighten groups.

As far as heat buildup with the 17hmr, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've shot 50 rounds without letting the barrel cool and the barrel was only warm to the touch.

DwayneC

get the bull barrel, I was shooting primers out of 357 mag shells at 50 yards 1 after another... I love my 93r17 bull barrel its fitted with a 3-9 bipod and 5-15x40 bushnell elite 3200 scope...

I'll second that,
I've shot the primers out of shotshells at 75 in prone without sandbags or a bench.
It really is an amazing rifle.
I can confidently take a 100+ yard head shot on a squirrel.
If I miss, it's my own fault, not the gun's.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce